• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Euro Lighting In General

LarsAlpina

Guten Tag everybody,

I´ve read a lot about euro turn signals and euro lights here in the FAQ. I don´t know if there´s already info about what I will write below somewhere here, but maybe it will be interesting for someone.

What I like to point out is, that there is not only ONE type of e.g. front turn signals for all of Europe - there´s mostly a variety.

France and Italy had there own rules and so they had their own versions. For some times in the 70s in this countries it was like I think it is today in the US: parking lights integrated in the main headlights weren´t allowed. Also if you came inside a city you had to drive on parking lights only even at night in that years. If they maybe broadcast one on your local TV, have a look at old films with Jean-Paul Belmondo or Alain Delon and you will see.

Examples:

- Roundies for France were not allowed to have white parts in the taillights. So for France they looked like this:

post-36854-0-01444000-1377767142_thumb.j

Other difference on round taillights I know about is for early US cars - those had the middle part for the turn signals not orange but red (should be common to you).

- Also France had yellow headlights for a long time. Those looked like this:

post-36854-0-96765400-1377767220_thumb.j

- For the roundies on the front chrome grilles the small triangular part besides the headlights was equipped with a bulb holder and worked as parking light:

post-36854-0-23851900-1377767534_thumb.j

- Headlights were not sealed beam like in US but Bilux:

post-36854-0-47299700-1377771557_thumb.j

or Halogen H4 as a charged option (later on standard equipment for 2002 and 2002tii):

post-36854-0-88562500-1377771572_thumb.j

- Bulbed front turn signals are not US only. With the first 2000tii touring with option Sportpaket there were bulbed "german" turn signals mounted (only one socket for turn light, no parking light integrated):

post-36854-0-46953800-1377769840_thumb.j

Later on this was a much purchased spare part here in Germany to individualize your car.

- For Italy there were orange-white front turnlights ex factory. Divided into two compartments with two bulbs: white glass part for parking light, orange glass part for turn signal.

post-36854-0-76381100-1377770111_thumb.j

If maybe more comes into my mind later on or I will find other example photos on my computer I will maybe continue with some more photos. Or someone else has his own "special country equipment" photos on lighting and likes to contribute here, too.

Best regards, Lars.

Edited by LarsAlpina

Ei guude wie? (Spoken as "I gooooda weee" and hessian idiom for "Hi, how are you?")

Já nevím, možná zítra.

Great post! How were the back-up lights handled on the French roundies that did not have them integrated into the round tail lights? I'm imagining a set of bumper-mounted lights, one red for rear fog and the other clear for reverse.

The French law was simply no white rear lights. So the normally white reverse section of the tail lights were amber, otherwise they worked the same.

Similar law went for the Italians, no amber lights to the front...

I've never seen a set of factory grilles that used the little triangle lens for a parking light. I'd like to hear more about that.

Edited by tjones02

Tom Jones

BMW mechanic for over 25 years, BMWCCA since 1984
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 585k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20

The headlights on my euro '72 (Northern European delivery) have a small bulb in the bottom of the headlight housing - is that a parking light?  I'll have to look at those reflectors to see if there is a bulb assembly behind them.  I don't think there is.

Great info!

Scott

post-34981-0-93017500-1377872629_thumb.j

Edited by saaron

02ing since '87

'72 tii Euro  //  '21 330i x //  '14 BMW X5  //  '12 VW Jetta GLI

Are you sure about the 2 bulb set-up in the two-tone Italians? My Targa has Italian turn signals, but light is single bulb that's blinker only. Parking light is built into the headlight housing. BTW, car was first delivered to Italy.

Paul Huber

1972 2002 Baur Targa in Baikal & 1971 2002 Pickup in Silver/Surf

"The more you know, the less you need."

—Aboriginal Saying

• 3 weeks later...

I've never seen a set of factory grilles that used the little triangle lens for a parking light. I'd like to hear more about that.

Tom,

discussed on that with some french guys some years ago. They stated early french cars had it like this and one has sent me photos (don´t find them, sorry). Statement also was that the cars had it from delivery on. I took the photos as a proof and from then on believed in it. Have not seen in person though and never owned such grilles.

Best regards, Lars.

Edited by LarsAlpina

Ei guude wie? (Spoken as "I gooooda weee" and hessian idiom for "Hi, how are you?")

Já nevím, možná zítra.

Are you sure about the 2 bulb set-up in the two-tone Italians? My Targa has Italian turn signals, but light is single bulb that's blinker only. Parking light is built into the headlight housing. BTW, car was first delivered to Italy.

Paul,

my two new spare sets of the Italian turn signals do also both only have single bulb. But I had used sets in the past equipped with 2 bulb setup and they didn´t look like those had been modified by previous owner. Evenly spreaded rust and dirt pointed on them being like this from production on.

Best regards, Lars.

Já nevím, možná zítra.

hmm. I suppose that's fair considering the euro ones are about $400 and those must be NLA.

The euro ones aren't that expensive. Maybe NOS in pristine shape from a US seller. I got a set earlier in the year for under $100 and if you are willing to deal with ebay.de then you could get them often for a very fair price (assuming you can get the seller to ship to you).

Neat variations.  With a car as old as ours, I would bet we could get away with about anything as far as mixing lighting options go.  I really think the French roundie lights are cool.  I may also play around with making a set of clear/amber LED front turn signals eventually(right after everything else I need to do, lol).

-Jake

`70 Black 1602 - My Beater
http://www.bmw2002faq.com/topic/135517-saving-a-1970-1602/

`03 GMC S10 - Fiance`s Truck/Parts Hauler