• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New To The Forum, And (Sorta)To My '02

Hey forum! I picked up this sweet '74 tii last witner.  It's got so many performance parts, so its a bit tougher to get a good start on, because it needs alot of maintanance and defenatly some love.  Thankfully its rust free and all the suspention has been gone threw not many miles ago and is in good shape. Most of the work needed is in the brakes, resealing the engine, and also tuning the fuel map.

the engine mods:

292 cam

t3/t4 turbo with 35mm external wastegate 3" downpie @17lbs of boost

multi layer steel headgasket

arp studs

ross racing pistons @ 9.7:1 cr

racing rods (not sure the brand but there nitrile coated and forged i think)

fully ballanced crank to 8500, pistons also ballanced

megasquirt 1.5 with edis 4 ignition

23lb injectors (bigger ones will happen after its finished)

front mount intercooler

80's 318 intake manifold with (possibly) bigger TB

80's 318 head

stage 2 clutch (not a cheepo one either)

its got a 5 speed  with  R-1-3-5

not sure the model           2-4

and that other diff that people swap into these things,  the +1 better then stock but not the best.

When I got this car, the ignition was cross wired and it was firing all 4 plugs at once making it undrivable.

I've fixed that, but the car is lacking a good fuel map on the computer,  right now it just starts dumping fuel at any throttle above 20%  and by dumping it opens the injectors up to 100%  what this means is that it floods itself severly unless I floor it and give it the air it wants, then it procedes to pull threw 2nd gear threw 4th gear in about 3 1/2 seconds per gear.  5th gear its pulling harder skyrocketing past 120, but I started fearing for my life due to painful acceleration and scenery turning into a blur. It's got more to give.    but its making the car undrivable currently cause the excess fuel is contaminating my oil and making things wear faster.

also need a new oil cooler and rear main seal.

TL:DR

hi I aquired a fast bmw and I dont know what to make of it all

post-45676-0-39398600-1377521240_thumb.j

post-45676-0-88332000-1377521265_thumb.j

Cool turbo '02 there! OK, ill be the first to ask, what's the management system? And... Through, not threw.

Tom Jones

BMW mechanic for over 25 years, BMWCCA since 1984
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 585k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20

Do you have the programming cable and software for the Megasquirt? Do you have or are you willing to buy a wideband O2? Street tuning an EFI system is not the difficult, but does require the proper tools and a basic understanding of how air fuel ratios relate to vacuum and boost, and a fair amount of patience to start.

If you can post a screenshot of your fuel table.

Rob

1971 Corvette, BBC to LS1 swap under way
1991 Camaro, ProCharged 355
1969 Corvette Greenwood/IMSA project
1974 BMW 2002, barn find, M42 on a stand, turbo header in a box

Do you have the programming cable and software for the Megasquirt? Do you have or are you willing to buy a wideband O2? Street tuning an EFI system is not the difficult, but does require the proper tools and a basic understanding of how air fuel ratios relate to vacuum and boost, and a fair amount of patience to start.

If you can post a screenshot of your fuel table.

Rob

yeah, it's got a wideband.  ill have to dig threw all the tunes ive made and messed around with,  i labled them with stupid names and i cant tell any of them apart :<  like  "this is the most current tune"  and "i lied this ones more recent"  and "this one for real"   I must be pretty stupid sometimes :(

its got a megasquirt ecu.   and it still has all the Tii suspsntion and brakes.  just like a mustang gt is still a gt even with a built engine, mines still a tii ;)  it's got all the vins matching still :P

Mustang GTs had almost nothing to do with the engine, BMW 2002tiis have everything to with the engine.  Without the Kfish you have a 2002 with a tii VIN.

Sexy motor either way.

Edited by lilmo

1973 tii, agave, since 1992

1973 tii block 2763759

1967 Mustang GT fastback, since 1986

1999 Toyota 4Runner, 5 speed, ELocker, Supercharged