Getrag 245 Overdrive: How Hard To Find?

Luis

I have a Getrag 245 dogleg box with a 1.00 5th gear (diff is 3.45) and I'd like to swap for an overdrive 5 speed in an effort to lower revs when cruising. How difficult are these to find in very good shape? I've read some parts are NLA therefore they're not able to be rebuilt. True?

Not to worry...you'll probably find over 100 people here on the FAQ that will be willing to swap with you.

The close ratio box is a lot more valuable than the overdrive box from a rareity standpoint.  However, as you say, the overdrive is probably better for driving around town and on the highway.

Thanks for the offer but I'm looking at keeping the dogleg, at least until I live with the .80 for a while, so a swap won't work for me.  I just can't find any 245 advertised anywhere that are rebuilt, or in v. good condition.  I'll post on the WTB section.

• 3 months later...

If its an 83 there's a good chance its the less-used 2-piece tranny.  Google getrag 245 5-speed (3-piece case) and there will be plenty of good references (here's a quick one .... http://www.iemotorsport.com/bmw/2002-clutch-driveline/025spdlist.html  

EDIT: couple other tranny references http://www.bmw2002faq.com/topic/137856-m20-swap-tranny-question/?p=11396

Edited by AceAndrew

And is this 5 speed problematic for a swap?

Not inherently. It's just that no off-the-shelf parts exist for swapping in a 2-piece tranny since it's just not usually used.  So if you're a decent fabricator then there's no issue, but if you don't have any experience on logical fabrication then it may prove to be a rather large stumbling block.