Clutch Master "line" Removal

1972-2002

The line is just press fit into the rubber grommet on the clutch master.  You should be able to carefully pull it loose.  You should probably install a new grommet before reinstalling.  Or, better yet, install a new clutch master (which will come with the grommet) since you're in there already.  If you replace the master, you should also replace the slave too.  Scope creep at its finest...

yes i have a new master and a new slave Any tips for getting the slave out (is it just a press fit). I agree i am replacing most of the stock parts (since i am in there) thanks for the help.

Now i am on the getting the steering box out - Yikes what am i doing to myself! Any tips on that?

garry

"better yet, install a new clutch master (which will come with the grommet) since you're in there already.  If you replace the master, you should also replace the slave too.  Scope creep at its finest."

That's what I just recently did when I pulled my pedal box. I began with the assumption that a return spring had broken (was actually the clutch master). I'm assuming you replaced the bushings in the pedal box, addressed any the rust and replaced the insulating foam.

Thanks to Rob @2002haus for the tips: 

• using the 3M ribbon sealer for the gasket. better than plumber's putty.
  • if you master was an original with the steel clevis, transfer it to new master and replace the aluminum one.

The pedals have an entirely different feeling to them now.

The original project started out as addressing a misfire.....it's a long story but aren't they all.

ColinK

BillW.

Yes, use the 3M ribbon sealer as the gasket for the box to the firewall.

I "think" I used the 7/16"(?) width and put it on the box and. the material is putty-like so when I tightened the box up it spread out and around for a nice seal. Was pretty cheap from my local auto parts store.

ColinK

"Any tips for getting the slave out (is it just a press fit)."

There are ciriclips holding the slave in.

Haven't done the steering box (yet) - someone else will chime in on that.

There are 2 circlips on the slave. Remove them first. Remove the small booth. Spray it with PB Blaster several time. Go back a day later spate more and push it towards fron of the car. Clean up the bore with fine sand paper after slave removal. Apply lube to new slave cylinder body and slide it in

Archived