Another "what Am I Missing Here" Thread

Beach_Bum

Did some work on the engine today. Changed Spark plugs, wires, cap, and rotor.

While I was poking around I noticed the below. Looks like something was cut and crimped (in the center of the photo). Can anyone tell me what this is...err was?

cf51fGV.jpg?1

Aha! Thank you. I think I'll pull this out and plug it since the crimp job didn't completely seal it.

Could this possibly cause a sputtering/lurching while running steady between 2500 and 3000 RPM? I'm only having the issue at those rpm, anything higher or lower and the car runs fine; idles fine as well.

Could this possibly cause a sputtering/lurching while running steady between 2500 and 3000 RPM? I'm only having the issue at those rpm, anything higher or lower and the car runs fine; idles fine as well.

You betcha.  It doesn't take much of a vacuum leak to upset your fuel/air mixture.  When I removed this part from my '73, I traced the outer diameter of the circular piece onto paper template, then cut out a piece of 1/8" thick  alumiunum, drilled it and fastened it to the manifold with with the original 6mm screws with a paper gasket and sealer to make sure it didn't leak.  Still holding after 34 years.

cheers

mike

Archived