Getrag 245 Flange Swap

2joejoe2

Flanges come in two types, coarse spline and fine spline. As long as the splines are the same the flanges will swap no problem. There was a post in the last few months about which years and with types (4/5 spd) had which flanges, but the quick answer is pull the flanges and see. IIRC the early coarse splines are a bit weaker than the later fine ones. The 5-speeds I have used all had fine splines.

-Fred '74tii (5-spd) & '69 (4-spd)

The changeover from coarse to fine splines was with January 1974 production--VIN isn't specified.  At least some of the 73s had incorrectly heat-treated flanges, causing spline failure (there was a factory bulletin on this).  So carefully inspect the splines on any coarse spline flange--and be sure to torque the nut properly when you do change flanges.

cheers

mike

There are E21 4 bolt flanges available from various vendors as needed.  We prefer to use the 3 hole flange (6 hole reinforced coupling) when performing our 5-speed conversions.  They hold up better in the long run and are not as prone to any (slight) alignment issues.  HTH

We have not tried any of the E30 shafts as all of ours are custom shortened and upgraded w/zerk fittings for lubrication.

• 2 years later...

So, I just bought a Getrag 245 for my 71 2002 however I was not able to get the 3 bolt drive shaft.  I am wondering if I can swap the 4 bolt flange from my 4speed trans onto the 5 speed?

Unfortunately not, the inner diameters are different.

If you find a 4-bolt flange from a very early E21 5-speed, you can use this one, but I guess it's easier to find a women without cell phone.

Hen

This is a old post! Anyway I ended up getting 3bolt driveshaft made by Dave Varco of aardvark racing. And I am very pleased. It seems like he is the only guy that can still stake ujoints. At the time ireland engineering could no longer stake ujoints do to the stake to breaking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived