Spray Paint (Grille & Wheels)

Has anyone used spray paint to freshen the grille on their car? Good idea? Bad idea? How well did it age?

I'm asking because I'm going to be removing my grille (74 2002) to install some Hella lights using Pierre's brackets. While it's out I'd like to clean it up and possibly paint it. Just concerned if the paint will age poorly and start flaking. 

Also, has anyone sprayed a set of wheels too? I have a decent looking set of 13" basket weaves off of an 82 320is that might benefit from a thorough cleaning and a little paint.

Thanks!

I have a 1973 and I repainted my grille with black spray paint followed by a generous coat of laquor (clear coat) and they still look great! I have also repainted my wheels (74 steelies, with grey wheel paint bought from my local Autozone.  they also still look great :)

Mike, 

I think your best bet if you are going to spray paint anything with metallics, is to go as high quality as possible - so not from a spray can, but rather from a compressed air gun or a air brush - the second thing would be to make sure you get a high gloss protective clear coat to put over everything to reduce any chipping and to also preserve the shine. 

Alclad makes a great "chroming" / metallic spray that I have seen pretty good results with. However, it takes a bit of practice and also a fair amount of equipment ( the airbrush itself, compressed air, and the proper mask for the chemicals used) so that is definitely an option. 

If you do go the spray can route, I've had good success with the Dupli-color basecoats, primers, and metallic paint.

There is this really cool solution to that I found a few weeks ago for chroming that I have been looking into called Hydro Chrome - looks pretty awesome and it get things looking incredibly silvery / shiny. I am about to place an order with the company soon - I am looking at getting their chrome @ home system... 

Heres the LINK to their website and a video below showing the process... pretty cool. 

Here are some links to a great top coat / sealer as well. Goes on smooth and dries rock hard to added protection... its called Glisten PC made by POR 15 - heres the LINK

Pinkey did his/hers a little different than I did mine (I like the clear coat over and imagine the final result might be better) but I think I just got my Lacquer spray paint from Home Depot.

I have some satin finish black rustoleum. I think i'll use that and put a satin finish lacquer on it. It's gotta be better than the faded grille i have now. 

The grills are just plastic in the 74... use plastic specific spray paint. I did that on mine when I first got the car and realized there was some broken spots, but when I found another at the junkyard, I gave it the same spray. Make sure you don't go too close or too thick or it will look a little off, but it definitely helps the look of the car.

9424499481_b6504f856f.jpg

i scubbed my grille with a mild plastic polish and got it looking like new. i think i just used Vuplex, but any commercial plastic polish like Meguiars Plast-X or similar will work.

this is the only pic i have.

8720104124_ecc41b7bed_c.jpg

if you decide to paint, use plastic primer first. it goes on clear so don't overdo it, then just apply paint straight over it.

I would add that in any painting, especially for smooth finishes is to scuff up with at fine grit sand paper for the paint to help with bonding properties. Please keep in mind that too much is just as bad as not enough and several light coats is better than one or two heavy coats.

I used SEM paint for plastic and believe or not Krylon for base and clear, but be sure to let them cure thoroghly before each coating and use.

Just my .02 cents

Justin

+1 for Dupli-color prime and paint. After scrubbing in a tub of soapy water I rinsed several times, dryed overnight and hit with self etching primer then a few coats of semi gloss black. Looks great. No pic at this time sorry not home.

I wouldn't use Rustoleum on the plastic grills....it may work fine but I'd recommend something like Krylon Satin Black (in the spray can)....it'll look just fine! Krylon is really tough to beat IMO. 

As for clear coat on wheels, I've had mixed results...yellowing over time is a potential downside.  I've always used Wurth or Griot's Garage lacquer wheel spray paint, but next time I think I'll try Eastwood wheel spray paint...less expensive and I bet it'll work just fine.  Dupli-color is good stuff also.

Archived