Alternator Removal Help.

flyingfool

so Im in the middle of pulling alternator to replace with 85 amp, and everything came off pretty easy, except the bold that hold the whole thing to the block. is there a trick to pulling that long bolt? mines spinning but i cant pull on it and have it move. tried moving the alternator while pulling.

tricks?

thanks

Do what you can to get as much tension off the belt as you can, then see if you can twist the head of a large screwdriver when placed under the head of the bolt.  This might get the bolt moving a little and allow you to then get it out.  Maybe its been in there a while.

Bob Napier

You can put the nut back on the end of the bolt, to protect the threads.  Then, get in there with a small, brass hammer and tap away at it, for a bit.  The vibration from the hammer taps will eventually break-up the corrosion & crud holding the bolt in place and it will come out.  I just did this a couple of months ago, on my 02 (original alternator was working just great, but the rubber bushings had turned to goo).  I think that, after I got it to move, I took the nut off and used a brass drift punch to finish driving it out.  Never needed a lot of force, but it did need some impact to keep it moving.  It's important to use brass against the bolt, because the brass is softer and will absorb any impact which might "mushroom" the end of the bolt, or mess up the threads.

Of course, if there is corrosion on the threads, it is important to run a thread cleaning die over the bolt, then apply Never-Seize to it, for the next time it needs to come out/off.