Scary Moment, Resolved Ok

OriginalOwner

SO, I depart the house early this morning in my '74tii.  I'm zooming east along on Carbon Canyon Road, just east of Valencia Ave.  All of a sudden, the engine isn't running.  I have enough road speed to coast 1/4 mile into the Carbon Canyon Regional Park parking lot, quite amazing actually.

The dash lights are just fine.  I open the hood, nothing looks funny.  I can't figure out if it is ignition or fuel delivery (electric fuel pump problem ??).

I close the hood and hope for the best .... the car starts up just fine ..... nice, but nerve wracking.

Big Decision:  do I continue to Chino, or head for home and troubleshoot ??  I opt for the troubleshoot. 

I get home just fine, no problems.

37 years ago I installed a small switch in the coil-to-points wire.  The switch when "on" acts as a cutout to ground the points so the engine won't run.  Turns out the switch finally "broke" and is now intermittent in the "on" position.  So I simply cut the switch leads and twisted 'em together.  I'll go find another switch and get it installed.

Whew ..... scary.

Cheers,

Carl

I was driving home last Friday , crossing Whittier Blvd accelerated & all goes dead wtf ? I had been working in the back seat , had my drivers seat a bit too far forward & turned off the ignition with my knee !!!!! I have the BMW leather folding key holder , I quickly realized what I had done & turned on  the ign & she bump started right up, adjust seat & situation normal , hardly missed a beat !

SO, I depart the house early this morning in my '74tii.  I'm zooming east along on Carbon Canyon Road, just east of Valencia Ave.  All of a sudden, the engine isn't running.  I have enough road speed to coast 1/4 mile into the Carbon Canyon Regional Park parking lot, quite amazing actually.

The dash lights are just fine.  I open the hood, nothing looks funny.  I can't figure out if it is ignition or fuel delivery (electric fuel pump problem ??).

I close the hood and hope for the best .... the car starts up just fine ..... nice, but nerve wracking.

Big Decision:  do I continue to Chino, or head for home and troubleshoot ??  I opt for the troubleshoot. 

I get home just fine, no problems.

37 years ago I installed a small switch in the coil-to-points wire.  The switch when "on" acts as a cutout to ground the points so the engine won't run.  Turns out the switch finally "broke" and is now intermittent in the "on" position.  So I simply cut the switch leads and twisted 'em together.  I'll go find another switch and get it installed.

Whew ..... scary.

Cheers,

Carl

See what happens when you modify?

:D

Cheers,

Archived