• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I know this topic has been beaten to death but most the info on the subject (at least what I can find.) is REALLY outdated.

I just picked up a 1976 Auto 2002. The head is trash. Block is rusty.

I'm an E30 guy. I know M20's pretty well, and actually just finished up a 2.7i (325i head on a 325e block and pistons.), fresh clutch kit, lightened single mass flywheel, M50 Injectors, and Motronic 1.3. Currently that engine is in a pretty ratty E30. I'm ready to get rid of that shell and throw the M20 into my new to me 2002. I've been dreaming of building this car for years, and now this 2002 finally fell into my lap. (Got it for free. :))

So here's what i'm looking for. I'm used to a thriving community of Enthusiasts. I'm used to R3Vlimited.com and E30tech.com, Tons of current/new info on the new and old swaps and common issues! This message board seems to be the best so far i've found for the 2002 chassis and I like what I see here.

Who's done this swap? Who currently has one and drives it pretty regularly? What info about the M20 swap is just hear say and what is the actual truth? Buy mounts or make my own via the PDF file i've seen floating around? G260's, how much work is needed to make them fit?

I'd love to take as much as I can from the E30 and use it in my 2002. I want to avoid having to shorten the driveshaft and i'm okay with doing some modifications to my trans tunnel. Just want to keep things clean and well thought out.

So there is my welcome. Happy to be here, and very willing to learn. 

Thanks for your time,

Paolo

PS. I'll post a photo tonight of what i'm working with. 

The car is an automatic. I have a pedal box and four four speed transmissions. haha.

clutchCTRL!

Move with a purpose.

1991 325iX 4dr/5spd I 2000 323i I 76 2002 - M20/G260 - in progress.

This is my favorite message board.  Please think of it as a distilled version of r3v (not as much fluff and more substance).

Most every question you have has been answered many times. We are big believers in the "We help those who first help themselves" motto, so the search function will be a great help to you.

Questions like "should I make my own mounts?" and "How hard is widening the tranny tunnel if I'm using the 260?"  are relative to your abilities.  It might be one person's cakewalk and another's worst nightmare.

If your goal is "Just want to keep things clean and well thought out." be prepared to spend some money.  While your car is apart it's a good idea to have the driveshaft rebuilt and generally refresh everything rubber (remember you're dealing with a car that is 15-20 years older than your E30).

I have a 69 2002 automatic with an M20 and Getrag 260.  The car sees the track, spirited drives and cruises.  It is not set up for daily driving.

You will find that most people here are genuine enthusiasts.  We don't have the riff raff of the R3V board.  (I am an E30 guy too.)  You will find that many of us here have other BMWs we are passionate about besides the 2002.

As Andrew said, some people can fab a bracket in their garage with their eyes closed.  Some can't.  I can't.  So be careful when someone says it's easy.  Easy is a relative term.

Since I am terrible at fabbing and welding, I had Groma built my car.  (I don't think they exist anymore.)  They installed the engine and transmission in the car, cut and welded a driveshaft and fabbed the exhaust.  I did the rest.  (Coolant system, fuel system, electrical connections.)

You have a 76 and it looks like you live in Washington.  What are the smog rules on 76s in WA?

I had the cut and weld my driveshaft.  I did not have to cut my tunnel.  Use the in-tank fuel pump from the E30 and stick it in the spot where the gas gauge went.  You will use the gas gauge/fuel pump combo set from the E30  I placed by ECU in the glove box.  The battery has to move to the trunk.

I hope this helps.

• Like 1

Pierre

O==00==O

69 2002 (M20), 74 tii, 76 533i, 79 323i, 80 732i, 84 323i (S50) 91 318is, 96 318ti (S52), 97 Z3, 02 330i, 03 525iT, 02 R1150 RTP.
Auxiliary Lamp Brackets  Kamei Reproduction Front Air Dam

If you want a smaller gearbox use a 240 off the M42 engine, it fits easier,not as high , same speedo problem (go electronic).

One of these gearboxes was run for two race seasons behind a 325 with a turbo and survived so its not that bad.

This is what im putting in mine.

72/2002 Inca

72tii/2002 "Apple"

70/2002 "Five "

73/2002 "Freeda"

2007 Lotus 7 Replica

2011 Ford xr6 Ute

85 E30 325

70 1600-2 "Orange"

I have heard that "rumor."  I have also heard that it does not fit.

I do know that you can install the E36 M42 and M44 transmission (G250) on an S52.  That would imply that all the transmissions behind the M42, M44, M50, M52, M54, S50, S52 and S54 would fit an M42, thus, according to the rumor, will also fit the M20.

I have yet to hear someone who, themselves have done the G240 transmission onto an M20 conversion successfully.  There are tons of people who say they know someone who has.

If you go to RealOEM, and take the part number from an E30 318i/318is M42 (part number 23001222035 ) and do a cross reference, it would appear that it fits lots of cars.  Upon closer inspection of the list, you will find that it makes no sense since it also includes automatics.  If you click on the individual choices, it shows that there are no matches.

Pierre

O==00==O

69 2002 (M20), 74 tii, 76 533i, 79 323i, 80 732i, 84 323i (S50) 91 318is, 96 318ti (S52), 97 Z3, 02 330i, 03 525iT, 02 R1150 RTP.
Auxiliary Lamp Brackets  Kamei Reproduction Front Air Dam

I should say the G240 trans that is fitted to the M20B20 the 2l/6cyl, it bolts up to all the M20 engines.

The M42 is different, sorry , just remembered what it originally came off.

72/2002 Inca

72tii/2002 "Apple"

70/2002 "Five "

73/2002 "Freeda"

2007 Lotus 7 Replica

2011 Ford xr6 Ute

85 E30 325

70 1600-2 "Orange"

Ace I love the color!!

Are most of you guys swapping out the distributor at the front for the adjustable one from the 323i?

clutchCTRL!

Move with a purpose.

1991 325iX 4dr/5spd I 2000 323i I 76 2002 - M20/G260 - in progress.

Ace I love the color!!

Are most of you guys swapping out the distributor at the front for the adjustable one from the 323i?

Not mine, it belongs to GOSTRAIGHT, I wish it was mine.  For the distributor, using the 323i distributor is an option for those running carbs or are trying to gain a little more clearance at the front. It also implies you are doing something different engine mgmt wise.