• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I've been racking my brain on this single issue all day.

With the G260, there is a rear carrier bushing that holds the rear end of the shift linkage up. I'm assuming there is no provision for this rear carrier bushing bracket. Off the top, can anyone recall what they did?

clutchCTRL!

Move with a purpose.

1991 325iX 4dr/5spd I 2000 323i I 76 2002 - M20/G260 - in progress.

They are miata seats.  On the 260 there are several styles of shift linkage platform.  I used the one that doesn't have that bushing.

I've been racking my brain on this single issue all day.

With the G260, there is a rear carrier bushing that holds the rear end of the shift linkage up. I'm assuming there is no provision for this rear carrier bushing bracket. Off the top, can anyone recall what they did?

I used the style that uses that bushing.  I just lined it up on the tunnel and welded the bushing bracket to the tunnel, just like it does on the E30.

Pierre

O==00==O

69 2002 (M20), 74 tii, 76 533i, 79 323i, 80 732i, 84 323i (S50) 91 318is, 96 318ti (S52), 97 Z3, 02 330i, 03 525iT, 02 R1150 RTP.
Auxiliary Lamp Brackets  Kamei Reproduction Front Air Dam

• 2 weeks later...

Pierre, I plan to do the same thing!!

Finished pulling the important parts out of the E30 for the 2002, and pushed it out of the shop..

post-45611-0-71266600-1389843600_thumb.j

After way too long out in the PNW weather, Olivia the 76 slicktop 2002 AT got pushed into the shop for some much needed attention. Out with the exhaust, driveline, automatic transmission, and the M10 Block..

post-45611-0-63479100-1389843671_thumb.j

post-45611-0-66739400-1389843683_thumb.j

I've always wanted a 2002, and looking at these pictures all seems so surreal. Never thought i'd ever get one so early in my life, and for free!

Cheesy "i'm in the engine bay!" photo

post-45611-0-34273300-1389843732_thumb.j

Cheers.

clutchCTRL!

Move with a purpose.

I’m getting geared up for the transmission’s rebuild (ba-dum-cha) along with a couple more AN fittings for the oil cooler.  For the transmission I got some new synchros and a couple other internal bits on the way from BMW.  Synchros are now $66 each list price, ouch.  By using the 245. I get to use a number of the normal 5-speed conversion parts  (clutch line, speedo cable).  The IE 5-speed shift plate and linkage will likely need to be shortened a hair but will ultimately fit in the stock shifter opening (and you can see how the shifter plate hangs from the top of the tranny tunnel [the mounting bolt actually uses the preexisting hole for shifter surround mounting, so no drilling/welding]).

IMG_9884_zps6fc650c8.jpg

Out of curiosity I sized up the differences between the E21 323i getrag 245 and the E30 325i getrag 260.  You can see how the 323i tranny would fit much easier.   

The 245 weighed 62 pounds
  The 260 weighed 74 pounds
  So the Getrag 245 is 12 pounds lighter than the 260.

f62517b1-5352-46eb-8048-541a3fffc720_zps

• Like 1

Planning on doing my M20 swap here this summer. My main concern/questions are:

1. Motor mounts (which are the best, easiest to install, require the least amount of modification to car and motor.)

2. Transmission mounts 

3. Drive shaft (2002,E30,E21?) which one to use ive heard people welding the front half of a e30 drive shaft to the rear half of a 2002 driveshaft? 

How much modification is required to the engine bay?

Tony, I'm using "Manimal/Dan W." M20 Mounts.

I'm using a G260 which will need a custom transmission brace/mounting bracket.

Going to run a stock E30 Manual Driveshaft, with custom mounting tabs welded up for the E30 Center Support Bearing ears/tabs. I've verified that the Driveshaft will bolt up to the 2002 diff.

This swap is not for the faint of heart. I'm just getting started. There really isn't just ONE way to get it done. There is a clean way (AceAndrew is doing a really clean build.) and the "get it done with what you have" way, i'm trying to walk the line on both, which is proving very difficult to do. There is a ton of info here on what's needed to get the swap done. Search, search, search, Google has helped me tons. If you start with an automatic car the trans tunnel is a bit wider to begin with.

My main issue was not wanting to build another engine right after I finished up my 2.7i with LW Flywheel and new clutch that was just installed in my E30 coupe (now the 2002's donor). Just made sense. If I had a bunch of money and time to work with i'd want to do the swap much like AceAndrew is doing.

Getting under my 2002 REALLY helped me figure out what everyone was talking about as far as the modifications needed to get the swap done go. You can read these posts and stuff all you want but it all started making sense when I got under the 2002 and started tearing into the donor E30.

Hopefully in the coming years there will be a really well done M20 swap write-up. There is just no single way to get it done right and clean, which is why I think it's not that well documented.

Cheers.

clutchCTRL!

Move with a purpose.

As far as being a clean job it will never be , cuz that motor trans doesn't belong in an 02 no Matter how good you are, but you can get very close to it .. Kid2002 would you mind posting pics of your tranny tunnel to get an idea of how to cut/bang it out .. Is it a must to fab a mount for the e30 center support, it won't bolt up to stock spots ? Also are you going to cut up the front end to fit the radiator would like see what people have done as far as making room for the rad ... I seem a few where people just cut a section just for the rad to fit .. Great work so far ..