• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Removing The Timing Chain Tensioner Pivot Point. How?

Johnson
Go to solution Solved by Johnson,

Hey guys,

I am assembling my new 2L for my `70, and have hit a snag.  The new block doesn`t have the pivot point for the timing chain tensioner to fit on.  I have one in my 1600 block but I can`t get it out.  It seems to be a press fit into the block.  Does anyone know any tricks to get it out without damaging it?  Here`s a picture so you guys know what I`m talking about, I`m not sure if I have the right name for it.

1.jpg

It`s the stud itself I need to remove from one engine and put on another.  Thanks for any assistance.

-Jake

`70 Black 1602 - My Beater
http://www.bmw2002faq.com/topic/135517-saving-a-1970-1602/

`03 GMC S10 - Fiance`s Truck/Parts Hauler

my engine is a 74 and I don't think they have changed the setup but they are threaded in I believe.  I used a stud remover to take them out.  but yes if stuck they may break.  research for backups just in case.

Beast 02- '74 2002
Beast 35- '11 135i
The Twins!!!
O=00=O

jake , what's the matter with the original post ?

and you do have a new one to install ?

which if threaded or not shows you what your trying to remove (?)

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

It might be called a bolt but it is not threaded, at least the one I took out of my old block. The hole goes all the way through, so you would need a press that could press it out from the back (inside the block). Mine was a junk block and i was just curious, so I got it out using vice grips and PB blaster and twisting, but it did not look pretty after getting it out. Could have been cleaned up and pressed back in though.

Save yourself the trouble and order a new one. Thanks for the P/N CD (11111744363), the BMW dealer calls it a guide pin.

$2.19 @ Husker BMW (www.bmwmercedesparts.com)

$2.85 @ BMW of South Atlanta

Fred '74tii & '69

Edited by FB73tii

--Fred

'74tii (Colorado) track car

'69ti (Black/Red/Yellow) rolling resto track car

'73tii (Fjord....RIP)

The 2L block doesn`t have one.  It was stripped completely before I got it.  I`ll have to check around and try to get one in time....

I will also make an attempt to get the old one out, nothing to lose right?

`70 Black 1602 - My Beater
http://www.bmw2002faq.com/topic/135517-saving-a-1970-1602/

`03 GMC S10 - Fiance`s Truck/Parts Hauler

I use a stud remover and a small pry bar. If I didn't have the tools and weren't planning on doing too many I would just buy a new pin.

Tom Jones

BMW mechanic for over 25 years, BMWCCA since 1984
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 585k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20

A gripping collet and a slide hammer will do it- just like the dowel pins on a clutch...

...one's threaded and one's a dowel, I seem to remember, but I can't remember which is which.

t

Edited by TobyB

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL