• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stock Hood Foam Question

02fanatic

Bill,

Don't you mean the larger one goes on the passenger side? 

I am beginning to think that the placement really "did" vary, and that the size of the center piece which has to be turned 90-degrees can be either the narrow piece or the wider piece, since they are the same length they both fit between the supports.  I just seem to remember on my car that the glue was pretty far up in the center behind the bar and the narrow piece didn't cover the old glue line, so I assumed the center piece was the larger one.  Larger piece definitely goes on the passenger side where the distance between the supports is wider...the wider piece won't fit on the driver side.

Regardless, the way your car's foam is placed looks spot on to me...no way you should have been docked any points for that my friend!  It's a 100 point car in my eyes! 

In the end, it really doesn't matter I suppose.  Just would be nice to have a definitive answer on this.  As for me, if I ever put any more hood foam on any of my '02's I will have to buy two kits to be able to get two large pieces, as I still think that looks best.  Both the '72tii and the '76 still are foamless as I just like the nice paint under there...a shame to cover it up!

John

John, what I am hearing folks say is the two smaller pieces go: 1. on the passenger side, 2. in the center, (turned in the other direction).

Then the one larger section goes on the drivers side.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

John Weese

'72tii "Hugo"

'73tii "Atlantik"

'74 '02 "Inka"

'76 '02 "Malaga"

'72tii engine VIN 2760081 - waiting on a rebuild

"Keep your revs up and watch your mirrors!"

I did misspeak, the larger one goes on the passenger side for sure. Thank you for catching that.

The kit that you do get now, the one with that comes with the triangle piece, will allow you to cut a "large" piece from it.

Here is a photo of the large piece lying on the triangle piece.

IMG_3508.jpg

Edited by BillWilliams

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

Here's a follow-up:

I measured the glue marks on my Inka '74 parts car, which is very original as far as I know (but the foam pieces are long gone!)...this car  even still has the original grey round air cleaner on the engine!  All dimensions are approximate:  the left (driver) side glue marks measured 13" wide x 19-1/2" long; the center piece glue marks measured 18" wide x 13" high; the right (pass) side glue marks measured 16" wide x 19-3/4" long.  Other observations: the right (pass) side foam piece appears to be about 3" wider than the left (driver) side; the center foam piece appears to be closer to the width of the driver side foam (i.e. the narrow piece); and the remnants of the glue and old foam on all three areas is partially covering the seams of the supports and the hood lip (center edge) - obviously, back in the day detailed placement of these foam pieces wasn't "exact"....I think we all know that now! :-)  I would also think that the glue placement may have varied from car to car, as it wasn't uniform everywhere....which makes me think that originally the foam was not adhesive-backed, but glue was applied manually! :-)

Then, I also checked the glue marks on my '72tii's original hood....the hood was wrecked but I still have it (I never throw anything away!), and the foam pieces had previously been replaced improperly with all three pieces tucked against the rib across the hood where the rubber seal strip resides...in other words the center piece was not turned 90-degrees and tucked toward the front of the hood (like it should have been) - there were remnants of glue visable where the original center pad had been though, so I measured what I could get at.  Again, it appears that the driver side glue and the center piece glue remnants were both about 13" wide. 

I took pics of both hoods but this description is hopefully adequate.

Conclusion:  It would appear that the two small pieces indeed are the pieces that go on the left/driver side (USA) and the center (turned 90-degrees), with the wider piece going on the right/pass side (USA)!  I had it wrong....at least that appears to be the case at this moment.  I admit when I'm wrong! :-)  That being said, I believe it may very well be possible that the original placement of these foam pieces "did vary" back in the day, since different people have different experiences.  I could swear that the pieces on my '73tii had two larger pieces originally, but hey, it's been a long time & I just don't recall exactly. 

I hope this helps, and I'm sorry for any further confusion I may have caused....but, I still prefer the look of what I have and what Bill has! :-)  Oh, and either way, installing the center piece is a royal pain behind the torsion bar "regardless" of which piece you go with! :-)

John

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

John Weese

'72tii "Hugo"

'73tii "Atlantik"

'74 '02 "Inka"

'76 '02 "Malaga"

Just weighing in for posterity:

The original hood pads on my (one-owner) '76 have largely crumbled to dust but I have both existing residue and a 1983 photo to support the facts for my car. Like Mike and others, I don't discount the possibility that the factory was less than systematic: not every 2002 was identical.

But, reading my car's facts into the record, it had two smaller pads and one larger pad, the larger pad being located on the expected passenger side.

Steve

post-41123-0-28893200-1375985843_thumb.j

post-41123-0-00196900-1375985877_thumb.j

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Ok, so if I order a pad set I suppose it will not have two small pads and one large pad correct?...but the set will include that crazy triangular pad?...go figure!

FWIW, Walleth & Nesch sells the correct three pad set according to what they've told me (pic on their website). 

If I order a set I just want to make sure I get what I pay for....no surprises! :-)

John

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

John Weese

'72tii "Hugo"

'73tii "Atlantik"

'74 '02 "Inka"

'76 '02 "Malaga"

• 4 years later...

Friends:  Resurrecting an old thread here because of a new question.  I have a '72 Baur Targa, sold originally in Italy and kept there until I brought it stateside a year ago.  The underhood foam looks original to me, but it is unlike any I have ever seen.  It is crumbling and needs replacing.  If what I have is, in fact, OEM, I'd like to find new to match.  Jaymic and W&N both say they have never seen this type.  Jaymic suggests that Italy may have had some kind of specific requirements (flame resistance?) and used this type.  Please see the photos below and note the waffle-pattern surface.  Anyone ever see this, and more important, anyone know of a source?  Thanks.

Don

IMG_0374.jpg

IMG_0375.JPG

4 hours ago, dbower said:

I have a '72 Baur Targa, sold originally in Italy and kept there until I brought it stateside a year ago.  The underhood foam looks original to me, but it is unlike any I have ever seen.  

Contact Tom (tomscat1), the resident Baur expert!

https://www.bmw2002faq.com/profile/42091-tomscat1/

Edited by John_in_VA

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

5 hours ago, dbower said:

Friends:  Resurrecting an old thread here because of a new question.  I have a '72 Baur Targa, sold originally in Italy and kept there until I brought it stateside a year ago.  The underhood foam looks original to me, but it is unlike any I have ever seen.  It is crumbling and needs replacing.  If what I have is, in fact, OEM, I'd like to find new to match.  Jaymic and W&N both say they have never seen this type.  Jaymic suggests that Italy may have had some kind of specific requirements (flame resistance?) and used this type.  Please see the photos below and note the waffle-pattern surface.  Anyone ever see this, and more important, anyone know of a source?  Thanks.

Don

IMG_0374.jpg

IMG_0375.JPG

Don,

I’ve also never seen the underside of an ‘02 hood with a reflective finish like that from the factory.  Is it consistent with the exterior color?  Has the reflective finish even been applied to the rubber hood bumpers?  Again, that’s a question for the Baur experts because it’s not a BMW factory finish.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)