Dash Three Gauge Cluster Issue

M3M3M3

so i was pretty psyched to acquire a alpina style cluster for my dash.  think it is a W&N part.  made of fiberglass.

2013-08-03_15-38-05_259.jpg

then i tried to put gauges in it.  hmmm.  the design and the angles are such that there is not enough depth in the right side mounting hole to actually put a gauge in it.  argh.

2013-08-03_15-38-18_564.jpg

2013-07-25_19-46-42_27.jpg

anyone know of spacers for vdo gauges that hold gauge out a half inch from the panel?  or does VDO make a shallow gauge?  could not find anything on web page of my usual source (egauges.com)

Edited by mlytle

Silly question, but what (if anything) is wrong with the cluster that IE sells?

the inset holes only fit the thin surrounds on VDO gauges.  modern WBO2 gauges will not fit in the IE cluster.  it would be a lot more usefull if they made it with a flat front.

2013-07-25_19-43-09_824.jpg

2013-07-25_19-47-49_127.jpg

thanks, but i don't want angled spacers.  the cluster is already angled.  i need straight spacers.  i suppose i could use those angled ones to "un angle" the gauges a bit for clearance at the expense of visibility.

Edited by mlytle

Try this for a spacer....take one of your gauges down to your local hardware store and visit the plumbing department.  Look for a coupling or other piece of plastic plumbing pipe that the gauge will fit (or nearly so) into.   Cut a slice off the pipe the length you want, open the inside out if necessary (it'll be close so won't require much sanding), paint it black and install. 

The oil pressure gauge on my '69 is mounted to the left of the instrument cluster (where the emergency flasher switch used to be).  I made the housing from a 2" Street Ell (a piece of plastic plumbing pipe).  Painted black, no one has recognized the housing as plumbing pipe.

cheers

mike

• 3 months later...

If you take two matching angled spacers and stack them properly they will become a straight spacer, just a thought if you think the commercially available spacers look nicer than pvc pipe. Also it would allow you to micro adjust the angle by rotating them slightly if you wanted to tweak the angle just a tiny amount.

• 3 months later...