Valve Work Of Piston

Desiderio

Hi there . Just got the word that a #4 valve may be getting filled up with oil? also with the speculation that it may be piston related , As a Non Mechanic , I was told this .

My 73 base is sweet, for the record . his really bothers me. What do you feel my next move would be?

Can i drive her?

explains why its not been peppy?

DEZ :wub:

You can't "fill a valve with oil" assuming they are talking about one of the valves in the cylinder head.  They may be telling you there is a problem with the valve stem seals and that excessive oil is being pulled past the valve guide into the combustion chamber.  If so there should be a lot of smoke during compression braking.  There is also the problem of poor oil sealing at the piston rings this should also smoke but more during acceleration.  Both will cause a lack of "pep" but worse it will foul the spark plugs.  You need to get a better explanation from your mechanic.  Depending on the symptoms and the appropriate fix this could be as easy as a head rebuild and as complex as a full engine rebuild.   

Assuming that Preyupy is correct (valve seal leaking and/or oil going past rings), it may not be bad enough to worry too much about it.  It seems like it's always #4 cylinder that has these problems first (least cooling from air flow, or something?)

As long as its not making massive smoke clouds, and a compression test doesn't show that its too bad, then you may just consider forgetting about it for a while and just checking the oil regularly.  It could go for years....

Archived