• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Someone Keyed My New 76'

Nesset127

how should you handle this? old school style, find the dude and beat the shit out of him.............................

Yes!

Or find him and let us beat the shit outta him.

I'm down!

I'm pretty pissed but I'm not going to beat the shit out of anyone lol. I'm more or the less a person that says screw violence. Gets you nothing but a life Long grudge and trouble.

It also gets your sadistic side a cookie... FEED IT!! ;)

Coupla things to do:  first, if the keying goes all the way to bare metal, you'll need to do some touchup ASAP before the bare metal starts to rust.  There's a company that mixes up matching touchup paint, even for older cars like 2002s.  Check the archives, or perhaps someone on the board will chime in with the company name.  In the meantime--especially if it's gonna rain--protect the bare metal--even with a little grease if you have to--just remember to thoroughly clean grease off before touching up the paint.  If it's only primer showing, you can skip this step

Once you have the touchup paint in hand, you can carefully and delicately dab the paint into the scratch, a little at a time.  Don't worry if the new paint stands above the original paint, as you're gonna wet sand (with succeedingly finer grit paper) the touchup paint down 'till it's level with the original paint, wrapping the sandpaper around a small, flat stick (like a piece of paint stirring paddle) and using lots of water--after the paint has thoroughly dried--like for several days.  If you're doing this for the first time, you might want to practice on a piece of painted sheet metal before tackling your car. Try using thinned paint, then full strength to see which works better.  Lots of how-tos on U-tube  and here on the FAQ. 

While it's a PITA and no fun to have your car scratched, it is repairable.  Think of it as an opportunity to learn a new skill!

cheers, and good luck

mike

Great advice here^^^ although, if you have access to a compressor and a touch-up gun, it would go even quicker. 

Yes Grasshopper, my pref would be a cup full of C&H as a gas additive for said dudes ride, hell never figure it out and his Honda Hiccup will probably be replaced by a Poyota Pricus, better yet make friends with his ole lady...........................youll feel better, she will def feel better, and you will have a legit reason to make like the scene in Point Break when Utah drops in on a local, yes the shower scene

Having givin all this qwestionable advice I must add this is truly a bummer, one of lifes messed up curve balls, honestly it was probably 17 year old kids enjoying there first taste of Jose Qwervo, thats why they call it Te Key La, no excuse

Dont give up, the best boys of summer can take that high & tight downtown with one swing of the bat, glad youre on our ballclub at such a young age, by the time you are twenty this will be a distant memory and your o2 will still be given you thrills like an e ticket @ Disneyland driveng the Autotopia cars, this car thing had to start somewhere..............................

^^^Soooo much win here I don't even know where to begin! "Te-KEY-La", Brilliant!

'71 2002 Malaga, fun weekender

'70 2002ti Colorado, Restoration/money pit

'74 2002 turbo in my dreams, sideways...

I got a genius idea. Not doing it but if I was insane enough I could take a picture of my cars scratch and then find the persons car ( I know who did it now) and trace the scratch with keys dipped in fjord blue :). Her car is white and the scratch looks white. I could just trace my cars lost paint onto her car! It's a wonderful idea in my opinion. Anyone for hire that will openly vandilize a 1995 328i? Just kidding hahah

76' Fjord Daily SOLD

1986 528e 5 speed Daily

"I don't have a piece of sh*t so I have to envy yours!" - Ferris Bueller

Whaaaat? you know who did it??? AND it's a chick? (I'm guessing your PIMP HAND must be weak ;) )

Let the cops cuff her ass!

I'm telling you, beak-ups are EVIL to cars!

'71 2002 Malaga, fun weekender

'70 2002ti Colorado, Restoration/money pit

'74 2002 turbo in my dreams, sideways...

Yeah she's kinda for the lack of a better word Insane. She wasint even my girlfriend she was my friends lol. But I'm accociated with him but why target my little car? It never did anything to her. I really am tempted to do the trace the scratch thing lol. It would be awesome.

76' Fjord Daily SOLD

1986 528e 5 speed Daily

Nope no insurance... I'm pretty pissed but I'm not going to beat the shit out of anyone lol. I'm more or the less a person that says screw violence. Gets you nothing but a life Long grudge and trouble.

Yeah she's kinda for the lack of a better word Insane. She wasint even my girlfriend she was my friends lol. But I'm accociated with him but why target my little car? It never did anything to her. I really am tempted to do the trace the scratch thing lol. It would be awesome.

You can't fight crazy or dumb. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Take advice from older guys and let it go. If you can get the police involved, great, but don't go for revenge. If you key her car, she'll just break a window. Even if she eventually gets it, you'll have a destroyed 2002.

Call it character or patina and start saving for a paintjob. Spend your time worrying about the mechanicals on your car.

ClayW
1967 1600-2 - M42 - 1521145          Follow my project at www.TX02.blogspot.com          E30 DD Project Blog

Walk away.

Fix car.

Learn lesson.

John

Boring...  +2 on beating the shit outta 'em!!!!

JK, just relocate car, call local authority (may not be able to help)  and move on. Because they know roughly where you live now. :ph34r:

Beast 02- '74 2002
Beast 35- '11 135i
The Twins!!!
O=00=O

Same thing happened to my 93 Volvo 240 two months ago in a Walmart parking lot.

Step 1. Call police and file report.

Step 2. Never go to Walmart again.

Step 3. Used the incident to give a boady shop I am thinking of useing for the 02 a trial run.

Step 4. Never go to Walmart again (seriously this was my third car damaged in thier parking lot) 

76 '02 owned 20 years.....project for the last 13. I should probably be faster than the rust I'm chasing.

Insane chicks will continue to be insane chicks. They love the drama so just disassociate your self from her and her friends and spend all your time fixing your 2002.

+100

If there is any way to involve the cops without more BS then I'd do it. Only go through them, and if her parents have money they can pay for a new paint job.

Yes, there WAS skin on my knuckles before I started the repair...

Girls be cray-cray at that age.  Don't worry, some of them get better by their 20's.  Some.

Make sure you haven't been bragging about your car too much.  Stay humble.  It draws less negative attention.

It depends on what current shape your car is in, but I'd consider saying 'screw it' and covering it up a little and leaving it for a few years until you have money for a better paint job.  Or just leave it.  A shiny expensive paint job will only bring you more hassles and worries, which are what you don't want when you're trying to enjoy driving your 02. 

If somebody notices the marks, this is all ya gotta say:

Edited by KFunk

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

If it was me I'd call the cops.  A person should be held accountable.  Just maybe they will learn and feel some regret for being a jerk.

I bet  most of us (older crowd) have been vandalized before and we ask ourselves "how can someone do this?"  and wishing we could catch them in the act or at least find out who did it. 

I won't park my car overnight in the street because I remember the damage I've had on other cars.  Vandals are everywhere and 02s are magnets (not only for those that appreciate them).

73 Inka Tii #2762958

I will go with the patina option. Can't get drug down to her level. Just call it character and it has a story too. Thanks for the hell every one!

-Nesset

76' Fjord Daily SOLD

1986 528e 5 speed Daily

On another note... follow the instructions about dabbing the paint if you get normal auto paint then put a very thin layer and then clear coat over it. Let it dry and wet sand.

Start with 1000grit and go up to 1500,2000, and 3000. Then use some Meguiar's M105 and you should be done! It will show but only from a close distance.

I'm no longer affiliated with Maximillian Importing Company in any way, please address any questions directly to them.  -Thanks.

2002 "tii" coupe 1970
E21 320/6 2.7 Stroker 1981
E23 730 1978