Someone Keyed My New 76'

Nesset127

How should I go about this? I was out of town for 1 night and I come back and my car was keyed. Not going to be able to buff it out. It's deeper than the paint. In pretty pissed off. I can't believe it because I havint even driven it around town sense it's not legal and I don't have my license being 15. So not sure what I should do it just sets me back 2 steps to having my car look nice and be a decent daily driver. The 2002 is awesome I love it I'm just stuck on what to do... Thanks guys...

-Nesset

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How should I go about this? I was out of town for 1 night and I come back and my car was keyed. Not going to be able to buff it out. It's deeper than the paint. In pretty pissed off. I can't believe it because I havint even driven it around town sense it's not legal and I don't have my license being 15. So not sure what I should do it just sets me back 2 steps to having my car look nice and be a decent daily driver. The 2002 is awesome I love it I'm just stuck on what to do... Thanks guys...

-Nesset

how should you handle this? old school style, find the dude and beat the shit out of him.............................

Coupla things to do:  first, if the keying goes all the way to bare metal, you'll need to do some touchup ASAP before the bare metal starts to rust.  There's a company that mixes up matching touchup paint, even for older cars like 2002s.  Check the archives, or perhaps someone on the board will chime in with the company name.  In the meantime--especially if it's gonna rain--protect the bare metal--even with a little grease if you have to--just remember to thoroughly clean grease off before touching up the paint.  If it's only primer showing, you can skip this step

Once you have the touchup paint in hand, you can carefully and delicately dab the paint into the scratch, a little at a time.  Don't worry if the new paint stands above the original paint, as you're gonna wet sand (with succeedingly finer grit paper) the touchup paint down 'till it's level with the original paint, wrapping the sandpaper around a small, flat stick (like a piece of paint stirring paddle) and using lots of water--after the paint has thoroughly dried--like for several days.  If you're doing this for the first time, you might want to practice on a piece of painted sheet metal before tackling your car. Try using thinned paint, then full strength to see which works better.  Lots of how-tos on U-tube  and here on the FAQ. 

While it's a PITA and no fun to have your car scratched, it is repairable.  Think of it as an opportunity to learn a new skill!

cheers, and good luck

mike

Nesset said:

I'm pretty pissed but I'm not going to beat the shit out of anyone lol. I'm more or the less a person that says screw violence. Gets you nothing but a life Long grudge and trouble.

@Nesset

Young man you're wise beyond your years...

ira

how should you handle this? old school style, find the dude and beat the shit out of him.............................

Yes Grasshopper, my pref would be a cup full of C&H as a gas additive for said dudes ride, hell never figure it out and his Honda Hiccup will probably be replaced by a Poyota Pricus, better yet make friends with his ole lady...........................youll feel better, she will def feel better, and you will have a legit reason to make like the scene in Point Break when Utah drops in on a local, yes the shower scene

Having givin all this qwestionable advice I must add this is truly a bummer, one of lifes messed up curve balls, honestly it was probably 17 year old kids enjoying there first taste of Jose Qwervo, thats why they call it Te Key La, no excuse

Dont give up, the best boys of summer can take that high & tight downtown with one swing of the bat, glad youre on our ballclub at such a young age, by the time you are twenty this will be a distant memory and your o2 will still be given you thrills like an e ticket @ Disneyland driveng the Autotopia cars, this car thing had to start somewhere..............................

Well I am very fortunate because I got to see what really made this car a BMW the first day I had it. Got to take it to a lone dark winding road. Absolutely amazing. The experience was one I won't forget. I can see why the original owner bought this thing 40 years ago. I hope to get the car all cleaned up and in a happy state one day. All with time and money. I can truly see the potential these have had. Performs amazing for 60's technology!

Archived