Wheel Identification

m6smitten

There were 14 in. flat weave BBS wheels on my car when I bought it. They had a European country stamped on the back (Germany, UK ? Don't remember). Smashed one when I ran over something on a dark road one night. Sold the bent one and the other 3 to a guy in CA who said they were rare. Here is an old pic when they were still on the car.

post-36218-0-00606400-1375395295_thumb.j

post-36218-0-39482400-1375395551_thumb.j

OK now....

Chamonix, your 14's are BBS RAs and those do not have the same sharp cut flat spokes as the Mahle ones. The edge of your spokes are rounded. 14" RAs are rare....

Nesset127, Same for you... ;)

It's the subtle details that make the difference. Hard to spot unless you've seen so many of them.

There are black plastic versions of those caps, then there are bright polished stainless versions. Both can use the B&W early BMW Motorsport badge in them. Many BBS wheels from the era use the same caps. Worst case, regular E30 center caps will work until you find a set of the correct BBS ones.

Though 185/70r13 tires would be fine, might I suggest 205/60r13. They'll fit those wheels and your flares just fine, and fill those fenders a bit better. Vredestein makes some that actually sold in the US, AND they're V speed rated! Kinda important for a Turbo...

https://www.universaltire.com/vredestein/205-60vr13-vredestein-sprint-classic-blackwall.html

HTH

appreciate you guys. What is the tell? Without a higher res pic, how can you tell between a 13 and 14?

2002's came from the factory with little-bitty rims. If you look at an '02 and say, "Boy, those are little-bitty rims!" then you're looking at 13's.

Steve

EDIT: After 40 years of owning '02's solely with 13" rims, 14" rims look enormous to me. And 15", fuggedaboutit!

Archived