Fog Light Switch To Replace "dummy"

achman

Go to solution Solved by Stu,

Hello,

Having sourced vintage fogs and driving lights for my 73 Tii, and having a friend fabricate some steel brackets for both, I am now having trouble finding the switch.

I will wire the fogs to the factory foglight switch on my car, but I was going to replace the dummy "blanking" button with a switch. I seem to recall someone else using a switch that was purple? to replace the dummy, and it looked almost exactly the same except for the color.

I can't seem to find the thread, or the place to purchase the switch despite looking for awhile..

Anyone have any info on where I can get the switch? The threads on how to wire the lights have been helpful for advance planning...

Much appreciated.

post-42945-0-40288700-1375305299_thumb.j

You can use a 2002 rear defroster switch (not illuminated, on/off) or E21 foglight switch if you want a telltale light (there were purple, green and yellow inserts to change the light color).

http://www.bavauto.com/fland.asp?part=61%2031%201%20356%20585&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=googlebase&utm_source=61%2031%201%20356%20585&gclid=CMCK_8Ti2rgCFcie4AodvUUA-g

Is this it?  

The E21 switch seems to be a rubber push pull switch....which isn't the same as the dummy switch...

Hi--

Some of the OEM foglight switches had a purple plastic lens.  If you need purple light without that color lens look for an LED bulb that emits purple-ish light (you may need to choose between pink and blue).  Since a colored LED will only give light of its color, any light coming through a lens of any color will be only the LED's color.

Larry

My 76 has the dummie fog light switch, the way to go is find a o2 at picnpull and grab a rear window defog switch, its marked fog lights on my dash and this is my goal, right now wired off my running lights so they are on all the time, no probs but everyone here claims relays etc are needed, no clue why, have ran 3 o2s this way and nary a problem, anyone want to chime?

My 76 has the dummie fog light switch, the way to go is find a o2 at picnpull and grab a rear window defog switch, its marked fog lights on my dash

Only '74 through '76 U.S. cars have a pull switch (dummy from the factory) marked "Front Foglamps" adjacent to the instrument cluster, so this is not a real option for the OP unless his round taillight car has a square taillight dash (some have been updated due to dash condition).

Steve

Only '74 through '76 U.S. cars have a pull switch (dummy from the factory) marked "Front Foglamps" adjacent to the instrument cluster, so this is not a real option for the OP unless his round taillight car has a square taillight dash (some have been updated due to dash condition).

Steve

Yep you are correct. This is a 73 Tii which the original owner partially restored in 1984. The restoration included a new dashboard, and it appears to be a 1974 dash. This was documented by the original owner in a notebook with prices etc. Very interesting!

I am assuming that I can wire the fogs (or driving lights) to this switch and then the other pair to the E21 switch.

• Solution

I bought a new 320i foglight switch from Blunt.  It came with a yellow button.  The buttons unscrew, so you can change the color.  I also have a purple button (from a used switch I also bought).  The 320i switch works just fine, but it is a larger diameter than stock; you will have to enlarge the opening a bit.  I made a new faceplate since I wanted to remove the ash tray and install a clock.

004_zpsa9719377.jpg

Yep you are correct. This is a 73 Tii which the original owner partially restored in 1984. The restoration included a new dashboard, and it appears to be a 1974 dash. This was documented by the original owner in a notebook with prices etc. Very interesting!

I am assuming that I can wire the fogs (or driving lights) to this switch and then the other pair to the E21 switch.

I wouldn't be surprised if the older 3-piece and 2-piece dashboards were long NLA by '84, thus your '74-'76 dash being used in an '84 restoration.

And, yes, run your fogs off the pull switch at the lower left of the instrument cluster and your driving lights from the e21 switch. I believe that '73s (and possibly even some earlier cars) have spare powered leads on the radiator bulkhead -- I'm positive the square taillight cars have them. One lead is powered whenever your low beams are on: you use this for fog lights. The other is powered whenever your high beams are on: you use this for your driving lights. The factory knew what it was doing and planned ahead!

Good luck with your project!

Steve