Garage Backup

Mike_B

I come out to the garage the other day to leave for work and I realized that 3 out of our 4 cars are in various state of repair...  Better get cracking!

The rusty floors are done on the 1800Ti and I've moved to address the trunk floor.  The rust should all be cut out and replaced by summer's end.  I never thought I would ever get it done.  Aside from a nasty nick on my index finger from a cut-off wheel / angle grinder it has gone pretty smooth.  I've got all the engine parts back from the machine shop and I've really got to get them over to Ben Thongsai to order the custom pistons and build the 2.4L stroker.

It feels good to be making progress!  I really need to get the camera out to the garage and take some photos...

post-35377-0-92205900-1375282126_thumb.j

Mike, your  18oo Ti will be sublime with that motor! The heavy NK 4 doors really need the extra torque and grunt. Yours may well be the fastest NK , short of supercharging etc, anywhere! The lowered stance on your car is quite sexy, do you know if there is/are springs that would give me a similar ride height?  cheers and don's top. Pete

Pete - 

Mark at Ground Control might have some suggestions for ya......you should give him a call.

I know Mike B had ordered some goodies from them....but I'm not sure if he has installed them.

I too have some Ground Control bits on my suspension.....you can see the stance of my car here >>

http://streetparkedsf.com/post/42937255800/bmw-1600-1964-the-1600-is-one-of-the-precursors

Take care, jim h.

ps - mine is adjustable on all four corners

Killed it yesterday!

Front wheel bearings and control arms on the 911- done.

Address vacuum leak and replace MAF on the Rover-done.

Cut access holes into NK shock towers clean out any corrosion and verify condition - done. There was a bunch of dirt and some rust pitting, but the overall condition looked good and the metal condition/thickness is nice. So I will be able to clean them up, treat the tower interiors with some preventative coating, patch the holes and move on. I'm in the process of motorizing my bead roller with a gearmotor, so once that is done I'll start making some panels.

I really hope to get it road worthy for the Vintage Fest in September, but time is getting tight.

Mike, your  18oo Ti will be sublime with that motor! The heavy NK 4 doors really need the extra torque and grunt. Yours may well be the fastest NK , short of supercharging etc, anywhere! The lowered stance on your car is quite sexy, do you know if there is/are springs that would give me a similar ride height?  cheers and don's top. Pete

Pete- The suspension is from Ground Control. I sent them the front struts last year to convert them into adjustable coil overs. They do really great work and they are visually pleasing. I've never driven the car with the new suspension, so I can't comment on performance. The ride height will come up a bit as I finally found a set of lower spring pads that will fit the early trailing arms. Parts suppliers show that they have them available, but they don't fit. I'll post some pics side by side for comparison.

I've logged nearly 6k miles on my GC suspension set-up......and it holds the ground quite well.

It might be a rigid for some, but I prefer it. My 02 has HD Bilsteins with fat sway bars.....I would

say that the GC set-up is just a notch or two below this set-up......in regards to hugging the road,

responsiveness, etc......my 02 is fairly rigid as well.