Hello,

I am looking to replace a broken ignition switch on my 71 2002. I have the new switch but I have some questions before I go forth with the install. I have the new ignition switch from maximilian that came complete as a one piece unit (key tumbler, electronic switch and housing)

1. Is it ideal to use the shear bolts. I have two new ones but a friend who has tinkered on his 2002’s ignition on numerous times has told me to look into using allen bolts instead to have it be removable in the future. I don’t see the need in removing it unless it breaks again but I wanted your opinion. Keep the sheer bolts or install allens instead?

2. Should I split the lock into two parts (two half circles) to make it easily removable from the column instead of sliding it on like it its is now. I am thinking this might affect the column lock?

3. Is there any trick to getting the columns splines (male) out of the female spline receiver on the steering mechanism? I have drenched it in WD40 but still cant pull the column free.

Thank you in advance,

1.  Shear or allens, it's your call.  The shear bolts were an anti-theft measure, but not all that big a deal.  If you have a pal who is repeatedly disassembling his column, he's got a problem.  In 30 years of BMW ownership and 15 2002s, I've only once had to drop the column on a 02 and once done, never went back.  You have the shear bolts, you don't have the allens, the general suggestion is to reinstall as the factory intended.

2. Not certain what you'd split, but IIRC the column job was not demanding, I never went back once done, so my general suggestion is not to split unless neccessary.

3.  Which splines?  There are splines are at the u-joint just above the steering box. Down there, take the bolt out and use a screwdriver to slightly pry the clamping part apart.  Then it should come apart.  You have to use whatever force is required.  There are splines on the top of the shaft where it mates to the steering wheel, these can be trouble.  One way is to center a hefty drift on the shaft, put tension on the wheel, and strike the drift with a goodly sized hammer.  Be sure you don't deform the splines; one way to avoid deformation is to use a brass drift. 

1.  Shear or allens, it's your call.  The shear bolts were an anti-theft measure, but not all that big a deal.  If you have a pal who is repeatedly disassembling his column, he's got a problem.  In 30 years of BMW ownership and 15 2002s, I've only once had to drop the column on a 02 and once done, never went back.  You have the shear bolts, you don't have the allens, the general suggestion is to reinstall as the factory intended.

2. Not certain what you'd split, but IIRC the column job was not demanding, I never went back once done, so my general suggestion is not to split unless neccessary.

3.  Which splines?  There are splines are at the u-joint just above the steering box. Down there, take the bolt out and use a screwdriver to slightly pry the clamping part apart.  Then it should come apart.  You have to use whatever force is required.  There are splines on the top of the shaft where it mates to the steering wheel, these can be trouble.  One way is to center a hefty drift on the shaft, put tension on the wheel, and strike the drift with a goodly sized hammer.  Be sure you don't deform the splines; one way to avoid deformation is to use a brass drift.

You've answered my questions good sir