Trim Suggestions: Chrome Plating Vs Re-Polishing / Finishing

Hey. I am new to the 2002 owners club. I just purchased a 1971 2002 and I am looking into various options in getting my trim looking its best....

Ive seen some show cars with extremely good looking trim, to the point where I am wondering if they had it chrome plated, vs just cleaning & polishing the aluminum. 

Has anyone had experience with this? i.e getting your trim chrome plated? if so, what is the process involved and costs? I would assume hey have to first copper plate it, then chrome it?

Also, I'm terms of costs in general would it

1) be better to take off all my trim -- use this method (

) to clean it, and then apply some Mother's Mag & Aluminum polish and put on a clear coat after to protect ( approx $50 in supplies + time and effort to get it polished ) 

OR

2) buy new OEM trim and assume its already perfectly polished ( approx $800 ) 

3) take the trim I have and get it chromed ( I would assume approx $1200 although not sure on costs here....) 

Im not necessarily looking just at the price, but more so the best and longest lasting option that will keep my trim looking its best. I live up in the NW where we get those rainy / soggy days and I would be worried if I stripped all the anodizing off my trim that it would get clouded up every other month or so. 

Anywho, I would appreciate any help / advice / suggestions. 

Thanks, 

CaseyW

On 7/29/2013 at 8:34 AM, eurotrash said:

New would be the simplest route. And probably the least expensive overall. And the finish will last.

+1

Any kind of quality chrome plating gets very expensive quickly. Most of the original trim -- beltline moldings, rain gutter trim, grilles, etc. -- was, of course, anodized aluminum, which is a few steps less shiny than chrome. Thus, my other concern with chrome -- and it needn't be your concern -- is that the a 2002 might not look "right" with that sort of bling! The original anodized aluminum trim, with good care, looked great for at least a couple decades, so I wouldn't consider chrome-plated trim to be wildly more durable.

There are LOTS of threads on this topic, with various concoctions/methods to polish tired anodized parts. I'd recommend you search for and consult them before you make a decision.

Welcome!

Steve

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 1

if you live in a soggy environment, perhaps you might consider an alternate route as has been done by others to good effect, IMHO.

use self-adhesive plastic chrome trim.  the thought of aluminum metal with steel trim clips tightened against new paint at the corners of the hood and trunk, where rust is well documented along the seams unnerves me.  i have bundles of used trim that will likely never be installed by me again.  no it's not for sale, but it will be held as stock for the next owner of my car.  if i can source the lower trim in a similar appearance, i'd ditch it too.  i suppose the choice would be influenced if you're dealing with a 'sunday' driver, or regular driver.

• Like 1

On 7/29/2013 at 9:49 AM, kbmb02 said:

Finish process of original was likely type 1 chromium brite dip anodized. I just had samples of trim done in type 2 brite dip, looks pretty good (type 1 hard to find in CA),

So is Type 1 "shinier" than Type 2? I had a pair of the late aluminum bumpers re-anodized, by an extremely reputable shop, and was very disappointed by how much less sheen there was than the original. When I challenged them, they said they couldn't do a bright dip with any more sheen. I'm thus looking for someone that can get me closer to the original.

Thanks,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

I've seen a few cars with trim blacked out, or replaced by self-adhesive vinyl striping.  Depending on the color combinations, and overally condition, and of course whether it was done straight, it looks pretty good to me.

It's your car, do with it as you will.

Im definitely not into the blacked out look - I feel too many new cars these days skip out on chroming anything it would be a shame to black all of it out and just blend in with all the other cars on the road... I've seen some 02's that look pretty good with it when they have the right paint job, but I'm more into keeping mine more original. 

So has anyone had any good success with either 1) getting everything polished / refinished or 2) getting it chromed 

kbmb02 - did you have your trim chromed? how does it look? 

CaseyW

Has anyone tried this stuff from www.bavauto.com ?

It's been around in one form or another for ~20 years. Results have varied greatly, but few have obtained those of the advertiser.

POR-15 has a product - GLISTEN PC. You should clean with Marine Clean 10 parts water one part Marine Clean and rinse well with water. Then apply AP120 metal prep and rinse off with water after only one minute. When completely dry you would apply two coats of Glisten PC. Glisten PC comes in a semi-gloss finish too.

http://www.por15.com/GLISTEN-PC_p_45.html

On 7/30/2013 at 3:11 AM, CaseyWarren said:

kbmb02 - did you have your trim chromed? how does it look? 

Casey,

I believe that kbmb02 is referring to a particular re-anodizing process (a.k.a., "bright dip") rather than actual chrome plating. Square taillight bumpers, round taillight grilles, beltline moldings, drip rail moldings, etc., were originally finished in some sort of a bright dip anodization that approached a chromium shine (but wasn't chrome). I had an unsatisfactory experience trying to have a set of square taillight bumpers bright dipped so I'm also hoping to hear more from kbmb02 -- who obviously better understands the process than I!

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv