Green Wire? Where's It Go?

paulram

So thanks to everyone for help with the tach problem especially FunkyLaneO for the photo.  I looked way too deep into it and sometimes the problem is right in front of you.  The tach was not connected at all at the back of the cluster.  There is a yellow wire that was coiled and wire tied.  When I ran it it to the coil, tach works fine.

Question now is what is the green wire?  Is that the original tach wire that goes into the harness?  I don''t see anywhere else it can possible go.  It would mean the yellow is a replacement.  I'd rather run the green if it's the original and trace it.

Paul

post-45331-0-80941000-1375054233_thumb.j

post-45331-0-94179000-1375054244_thumb.j

post-45331-0-09543200-1375054254_thumb.j

IIRC the original tach lead had a cover over the terminal to prevent it from accidentally grounding/shorting out.  Your yellow wire doesn't have an insulated terminal, but the mystery green wire does...and I seem to remember that my tach has a green wire on it...

It's possible that a PO replaced the wire because the original had an internal break or..who knows.  But now that you have a functioning tach, you can try the green wire and see if that works.  If not, go back to the yellow wire.

cheers

mike

The green wire is positive power, the brown is ground and the black is signal (the white goes to the lights)  Green always indicates switched power so turn your key to the on position and test for power, keep in mind that the round plug must be plugged in for this to work.

The back of the tach is marked, there is a ground symbol for ground, a "+" for positive and the signal is in the middle.

recap:

Green = + (left)

Brown = ground (right)

black = signal (middle)

I am not sure what your yellow wire is (it is not original), make sure to test everything and make sure it does what it is supposed to before putting the cluster back in, to test the power to the tach, connect your test light or multimeter to the brown and green wires and turn the key on, it should light up. Then test the signal wire to make sure you know where it exits in the engine compartment, it may have been replaced by that yellow wire in which case that would plug into the middle terminal instead of the black wire.

I get the feeling the green is the original power wire that was cut upon engine replacement and never reconnected.  Why they ran a yellow and never reconnected and had it wire tied behind the cluster is a mystery. I will see if I can track the green one down and reconnect as I would rather use that one.

By the way the tach works fine when I hook the yellow wire to the coil so the question becomes tracking the end of the green and using that.

the green wire just plugs into the back of the cluster on the other side of the speedo, it is only about 8 inches long, if there is no power there then I would guess other things in your cluster do not work either.  you would need to test the round plug and make sure there is power there (there is a schematic for it in the Haynes or of you don't have that I can send you one) if there is power there then the pod with your fuel gauge and temp gauge may have issues.

I would follow the wire cluster from the tach back to the other side of the cluster and unplug it there and test for power at that connection (make sure key is in the run position, to see where it plugs in look at my previous picture), if there is no power then I would test the round plug for power, if there is power there then I would suspect the PC board on the gauge cluster pod.  if that is the case I may have one if you need one.

Thanks!  I think I have a cluster coming from Kfunk for my burned out board.  I will test and see what I have.  Everything else seems to work as is with the green wire unplugged (except tach).  I'll check it and report back in.

Archived