• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pulled The Trigger On 185/60/13 R888's

I am fully aware of the pros and cons of the smaller tires (7% less rolling diameter), but after many attempts at sourcing various rims, i figured i would get something fun for light autocross and track work that would fit my extra, original steels.

A local ti owner ran the same size in autocross and was happy... So i went with it. Getting them at cost never hurts either.

I hope to have them for the w/e at our local track (tight handling track). I will report with photos and my impressions.

Edited by gliding_serpent

1973 2002Tii (Pacific Blue)

1984 911 3.2 Carrera (Platnum Metallic)

2009 328xi (Black Sapphire Metallic)

2010 Mazda Speed3 (Black Metallic)

What brand?  Source?  Speed rating?

Inquiring minds want to know...I'm kinda frustrated in my tire hunt also...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Toyo R888- http://www.toyotire.com/tire/pattern/proxes-r888-DOT-competition-tires

The local Pro3 contingent didn't like them, but I found them pretty good on the 2002 a few years back.

Be prepared to go WAY beyond the recommended pressures, though, especially for autocross-

Eddie in Portland says as high as 50 psi. 

hth

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

those should be fun for your use.

i found for use on my 2002 that the R888.....SUCKS.  squeals like a pig, unimpressive grip, vague turn in, don't last long enough (heat cycles, not tread wear) to be worth putting up with the first three qualities.  

but your comparison may be to a normal street tire, which they are better than.  my comparison is to other R-comp track tires, Hoosier R6 and Hankook 214's...which the R888's are not even in the same league as.

2xM3

those should be fun for your use.

i found for use on my 2002 that the R888.....SUCKS.  squeals like a pig, unimpressive grip, vague turn in, don't last long enough (heat cycles, not tread wear) to be worth putting up with the first three qualities.  

but your comparison may be to a normal street tire, which they are better than.  my comparison is to other R-comp track tires, Hoosier R6 and Hankook 214's...which the R888's are not even in the same league as.

did you run 205/60/13's or another size?  What wheels?  Same wheels and tire profile for the other brands?

Either way, I agree that the R888's are not in the same ballpark as the R6 or 214's... which are essentially slicks.  Besides, I did not want to go that far as my camber will just not do them justice (R88's are prob still too much tire, but choice is imited...). The R888's will still get the drivers front outer chewed up at or track.

Edited by gliding_serpent

I ran 225-45-13 on... oh, heck, I think those were on 7's.

With tons of camber (like, 5+ degrees), I disagree with Marshall- they didn't SUCK.

They were on a par

with RA1's initially, and with suspension and considerable pressure adjustment, they were better.

By the time they were really dialled in and the car re- geared, they were trashed, and I didn't

think they were worth another try, so I don't know how much better than RA1's they

could have been.  A second, maybe, on my car?

They were NOT in slick territory, though.  They're a "DOT 'competition' radial" 

for a spec class, not an all- out race or autocross tire.

I wonder how they'll do with the low temps you get in autocross.  Let us know.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

195/5 15 and 205/50 15.  all three of those tires need 3+deg camber up front to work well.  i run 3.5 deg.  the hoosiers i havev not tried on my 2002,  but i have a dozen + years of experience with them on e36 and e30 race cars.  they are the tire to use if you want to win.  kook's are a half second off the hoosier pace.  r888's are two + seconds off the pace.

2xM3

I will report back for sure.  I figured narrower 185's would be better for getting them up to temp fast, giving them the edge on r888 205's for initial grip, even if they lack outright max grip.  I would think that getting the 205's up to temp on such a light car would be impossible without more camber.  thus 185's. (plus I have rims)

I just need the tires and new seat-belts before the weekend... otherwise I will be taking the e90 with pilot super sports (great tire).  I need to get my lapping license for track days.  

There may be one local autocross left this summer.  My big goal is the track.  We have a local great handing track with lots of elevation changes.  Generally a 3rd gear track (with my e90) with 4th on the back straight, and 4th on the tail end of the front straight if you are quick (I am there now).  Down to second in a down hill than uphill dogleg turn 2. It will be interesting to see how the small 185/60's, and the tii gear ratio effects my shift points.  My big goal is to get a safe feel for what my car can do, on r888's and ideally my xas if I can convince my dad to be my crew.  I also want to get a feel for the effects of the IE sways at various settings. 

Not me, but a good view of the track.  Atlantic Morotsports Park.  Great little place. 

Also pulled the trigger for a set of used bottlecap e30 6x14's and some Falken Azenis RT-615K's in 195/60/14... the only performance street tire I could find in in an appropriate size.  This will be my daily driver tire down the road.  My 13 alloys will run my XAS for shows, my original steels will run my R888's for slalom/track, and the 14's with the Falkens will be a daily driving/track tire.   

Will give impressions and fitment reports with track use (i.e. stage 1 springs and stock fenders)