Replace Vs Rebuild Tranny

Poloace

Still having issues w 3rd gear not letting me get into it any faster than 30mph or above 1500 rpms while shifting into it and back from 4th. Have put maybe 50 miles on it since picking it back up w fluids being replaced, bled, etc. after how long should the new tranny fluid be considered to not work? and, at that point.. Is it more tactical to rebuild my trendy vs swap out an unknown? That is to say, am I better off paying to have it rebuilt rather than to attempt trial and error w a tranny swap?

My current tranny is not noisy- so, I think a rebuild on it would be fantastic- just seems costly. I want to be able to drop gears and enjoy the car like it were made to be driven. I'm in the la area, If anyone is around, I'd like you to drive my car, maybe I can drive yours and get a feel for what a normal tranny should feel like. Hope everyone is well. Cheers.

P

i have the opposite problem; mine shifts into all gears just fine but makes a noise when the clutch isn't engaged. when the clutch is engaged the noise goes away. my mechanic said it's a bearing inside the tranny and i could either rebuild it or leave it alone. he was saying that if i don't do any long haul drives; only short trips, it may never go bad. i plan to drive it like it is until it won't go anymore. then figure it out from there.

in your case, i might just swap it out. or take the opportunity to swap to a 5-speed if you do a lot of highway driving. 5th gear should make it a little quieter and get better gas mileage.

Good 4 speeds are cheap and aren't hard to find--you just want one from a later car with Borg-Warner pattern synchros; early (68-70/71) trannys had Porsche pattern synchros that aren't nearly as durable.   If you can find one from a running car that's being parted out due to accident or rust where you can try shifting it, you'll be better off $$$ wise than having yours rebuilt.

Lots of folks have good 4 speeds laying around after a 5 speed conversion.

mike