Center Drag Link Reinstall Issues

sirius815

So, I am finally putting in new tie rods and a new center drag link.  Tie rods went well, however with the drag links - the nut tightens down "too" far to where the cotter pin isn't really doing it's job.  The nut sits way too low on the bolt to where the cotter pin is just barely within the castle.  Curiously - this is only on the idler arm.  The steering arm sits fine.  I did leave the black "caps" on both ends and on the idler arm side the cap is squished down a bit, where as on the steering arm everything looks great.

Thoughts?

Edited by sirius815

Hmmm, look at your old center link. Does the idler arm end look ok? It sounds that your idler arm is damaged so that the tapered hole is too big. Never heard of such a case though. Or the pin in the new center link is too thin for some reason but that sounds even less obvious.

Tommy

The idler arm looked okay when I pulled it to do the bushings - can't look at the old center link as it's long found its way to the scrap heap.  I was thinking the same thing - enlarged taper.  I tried to hammer the thing back out and it's on there good and tight now - so maybe just leave it and see what happens.  I really do not want to take the idler arm back out now...  I'm finally starting to put things back together after months of tearing into her.

Yeah - I'll end up doing that once the front end comes back off the ground.  For right now, I'm enjoying the look of the car with at least the front wheels back on and touching earth.  Got the oil pan back in today, clutch line, tie rods, subframe, subframe straps, and rear shocks.  Having a terrible time with the poly bushing for the control arms, but that'll end up being another day.

9339399190_e75d244c1f_z.jpg

Edited by sirius815

if that center link joint is bottomed out and cotter pin won't lock it...something is wrong.  i would take it completely apart and examine wear, damage or wrong parts.  this is the steering.  it is a safety issue.  not a place to cut corners or rush.   fix it right.

what is the issue with the poly bushings?  those should go on very easily.  something is not right if it takes more than a few minutes to put them in.  i just changed all the poly bushings in my car for another style and it took about 20min per side to remove and replace inner, outer and radius rod bushings.

The bushings are proving very difficult to merge in the middle - I'll get one all the way in and get the other side only about 1/2 way.  I'm using the lube supplied.  FWIW - the control arms (rear) are NOS which just had the rubber bushing removed.

I'll be sure to look at the center link again when I get the chance.  (before the car's roadworthy for sure).

Thanks a lot guys!

Ben K.

The bushings are proving very difficult to merge in the middle - I'll get one all the way in and get the other side only about 1/2 way.  I'm using the lube supplied.  FWIW - the control arms (rear) are NOS which just had the rubber bushing removed.

using a C-clamp or press to slide them in?  when i did mine in the rear, it just took lite tapping with small hammer.

FYI...proper terminology helps understanding of the issue.  there are no control arms in the rear....those are called trailing arms.