72' Roundie. My Slow Build.

turbophil

Hi guys,

I've recently purchased my 72' 2002 and am starting to slow process of restoring it. This is my first 2002.  I have a healthy VW background and have built many cars.  I plan on doing a resto-mod/OEM plus type build on it.  

I am needing to replace all of the front bushings and have a quick question for those that have gone the full poly bushings route.   I have done this in the past and while I have been happy with the results, my path is a little different with this car.  I dont want a harsh ride.  

Do you consider the full poly front bushings to be harsh on the 02?  

I was even thinking of rubber control arm bushings with poly thrust arm bushings but cant seem to find the thrust bushings in poly on their own. What do you think?  Opinions?

Thanks

post-44984-0-39410100-1374267152_thumb.j

I am running full poly that were installed into transplant subframes by their PO and find them harsh for regular driving. If I had it to do over again I'd probably go for a mix of poly & rubber. I find myself watching out for bumps and holes to avoid more than just putting my foot in it and having fun.

I'm in Vanvouver Canada. Not a lot of examples around here other than full rubber bushed cars. I think I'll do a mix

I'm in Vancouver Canada. Not a lot of examples around here other than full rubber bushed cars. I think I'll do a mix

Bushing suggestion:  I did both my '69 and '73 front end bushings several years ago--cars are mostly daily drivers with occasional autocrosses, so I went with rubber bushings for everything but the swaybar links and mounts.  Those are urethane.  Since the swaybar only comes into play while cornering, the harsher urethane bushings will make the bar react sooner (less compression than rubber) without making the ride harsher. 

Been working just fine for some years now. 

mike

PS, welcome to the '02 fraternity/sorority

Thanks. I have contacted IE and am ordering a mix of poly and rubber. I took the front end apart tonight and am surprised how easy it all came off.

I figured for sure something would be seized but all the cotter pins came out nice and the nuts broke free and unwound real nice. They just look like hell but came apart like heaven ;)

I'm trying to imagine the mixed use configuration.  I am curious as to what they recommend.  Maybe you can report back with the kit that they built, and what goes where. 

My guess is, for the front, rubber in the control arm, poly on the compliance rod ends.  Rubber on the strut bearings.  For the rear, Rubber on the subframe and diff, poly on the swing arms.  Poly on all end links.

How did I do?

• 2 months later...

It has been a while since I posted this.  I ended up replacing the front control arms, ball joints and installed the compliance arm bushings.  When I finally drove the car it pulled to the right like crazy!  Jack it back up and found the left front brake dragging.  I installed SS brake hoses and all was good!

SInce all that, I have replaced the whole ignition system, repaired some vacuum leaks, resealed the exhaust manifold and the car runs brilliant!  Fires up right away and idles nice. Very happy right now.  

• 7 months later...

So after not having any time over the winter I have finally gotten around to doing some work on the Roundie. 

I managed to get the rear subframe out the other day and started tearing it down to get blasted.  Surprisingly, much like the front end, not one fastener was seized. 

I highly doubt any of it has ever been apart, all the fasteners felt torqued proper and took no effort to loosen off.  Happy guy here :)

post-44984-0-10156800-1400949592_thumb.j

post-44984-0-91979100-1400949627_thumb.j

Pulled the arms and diff off and then drained out the dirt and gravel haha!  Just made the car faster through weight reduction!

AT the same time I decided to check the diff.  The oil was clean and the spider gears weren't as bad as I thought they would be in a 40yr old car.

post-44984-0-09445200-1400949935_thumb.j

post-44984-0-20383500-1400950045_thumb.j

After doing quite a bit of work on my 76', I have only been extremely impressed with how easy all the nuts and bolts come off. Not one has broken or stripped on me yet. Coming from working on 90s Miatas, this is new to me. These cars are definitely put together well. Being an Arizona car might have something to do with it too.

Anyways looks like fun! 

I sent the subframe and arms for blasting and powder coating.  I have all the bushings except the diff carrier bushings.  I can get them from the dealer but are Germany so I would have to wait a while.  Does anybody have a good source for the bushings?  Turner has them but shipping is $17 for 2 bushes. 

Anyways, I need two of 33 17 1 104 266 bushings.  Any help would be appreciated.  I'm going to call IE on monday as well

Archived