What To Buy - Rims

paulram

Based on a few recent posts on rims and tires.  I need to upgrade the rims/tires I currently have at some point in the next few months.

On the car now are standard 13" steel rims which look ok and I also have a set of 5 rims from a 320 as well that are 13"

Based on previous conversations that 13" tires are harder to find and also that the 320 rims I have are not the correct offset  (but people use them)...

What is everyone's best opinion (yes i want opinions) on a  rim size and type assuming I do not want to change much as far as flares etc.  I don't mind making minor mods.

Important to me is look and handling.  I am willing to give up some ride comfort for handling but do want a card that does ride fairly well.  It would also be nice if I had a rim that gave me alot of options for tire types.

I tend to like older rims that have a deep dish (I don't know what youcall it) but a retro racing type look.

I attached a photo of a look I like (I would not have gold and like a brushed aluminum look.

post-45331-0-46963600-1374244234_thumb.j

This first car is a Groma M20 car running axis 15x8 0 offset.  Nice combo for turbo-flared cars but yes, too much for stock fenders.

http://www.eurotuner.com/featuredvehicles/eurp_0709_1969_bmw_2002/viewall.html

The second car is running the Rota RB "panasport look-alike" 15x7 20-25mm offset.  Generally fits in the stock fenders with some rolling in the rear (depending on ride height and tires).  You can find these all day long on ebay.  For a smoother spoke there are the Konig

Rewinds.

There are a lot of options out there in the 15x7 range with 20-25mm offset.

http://www.iemotorsport.com/tech/bmw-wheels.html

I like these as well.  I get the feeling the previous rims are too wide for a standard setup...  I want something that looks the right period, but looks aggressive.

These rims are probably 7x15, or so, around the max you can do without flares or other serious fender manipulation. But with such a big rim -- on a car designed for 4.5x13 and 5x13 rims -- the choice of tire size and even brand and model will be crucial. The general rule for offset (ET) is high twenties, as in 25mm to 29mm. Some users, at these sizes, need to roll their fender lips. There are endless threads on this forum showing every imaginable rim, in every imaginable size (and some un-imaginable sizes), along with discussions of tires and fitment issues.

Regards,

Steve

the options for street performance tires in 13 and 14in wheels is....zero.  if you can deal with all season tires, 14in wheels will work.

15in is the way to go for tire selection.  195/50, 195/45 sizes have lots of tire options from all season to sporty to auto-x to track.  same size miata's use, so selection will be there for a long time to come.

the options for street performance tires in 13 and 14in wheels is....zero.  if you can deal with all season tires, 14in wheels will work.

15in is the way to go for tire selection.  195/50, 195/45 sizes have lots of tire options from all season to sporty to auto-x to track.  same size miata's use, so selection will be there for a long time to come.

Actually...there are a few performance options for 195/60/14...

Kumho, Falken, Dunlop, Hankook, Sumitomo, Michellin....

All make all seasons and Dunlop and Falken make Extreme summer performance tires...

If you want an easy upgrade, 14" E30 wheels fit perfectly, alot of guys with E30s wanna go 15 or 16 so the 14" rims are cheap.  I got a set for a couple hundred with new tires on them....

15s will have more options for sure, but there are tradeoffs, less sidewall, harsher rides, etc...more expensive wheels for sure...

ATS is now making the Classic in 15.5x15 and it is supposedly available in 4x100 though I have not been able to figure out the offset. The ATS Classic is basically an upsized version of the 5-spoke that they were making in the seventies. It's similar to the alloy wheels associated with the tii. Very much a period correct look.

Check out http://www.ats-wheels.com/ats_wheels/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=150:classic&catid=1:raeder-designs&Itemid=97〈=en

It seems they only come in black, and I haven't found a dealer in the USA yet. If anyone has information, please post.

You can see them on a car at the bottom of this page:  http://www.my2002tii.com/2006/yearend/index3.htm

Edited by Palindrome

Actually...there are a few performance options for 195/60/14...

Kumho, Falken, Dunlop, Hankook, Sumitomo, Michellin....

All make all seasons and Dunlop and Falken make Extreme summer performance tires...

If you want an easy upgrade, 14" E30 wheels fit perfectly, alot of guys with E30s wanna go 15 or 16 so the 14" rims are cheap.  I got a set for a couple hundred with new tires on them....

15s will have more options for sure, but there are tradeoffs, less sidewall, harsher rides, etc...more expensive wheels for sure...

last i checked at tirerack for 14's, only non- all season was the dunlop star spec....and that is on closeout.  going with 14's is not a good bet if you want availability of performance tires....they are going the way of 13's fast.  the e30's want to go for 15's partly because of the tire availability.  i am one of those e30 guys.  when my crappy 14in yoko es100's on my 325 die, there will be no good options besides selling the car or getting bigger wheels.....

Edited by mlytle

ATS is now making the Classic in 15.5x15 and it is supposedly available in 4x100 though I have not been able to figure out the offset. The ATS Classic is basically an upsized version of the 5-spoke that they were making in the seventies. It's similar to the alloy wheels associated with the tii. Very much a period correct look.

Check out http://www.ats-wheels.com/ats_wheels/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=150:classic&catid=1:raeder-designs&Itemid=97〈=en

It seems they only come in black, and I haven't found a dealer in the USA yet. If anyone has information, please post.

You can see them on a car at the bottom of this page:  http://www.my2002tii.com/2006/yearend/index3.htm

Tunershop.com lists the ATS classic in 5.5x15 at $229 each. Call or email for available offsets. I bought my Schmidts from them and was happy with their service. Hope this helps...

last i checked at tirerack for 14's, only non- all season was the dunlop star spec....and that is on closeout. going with 14's is not a good bet if you want availability of performance tires....they are going the way of 13's fast. the e30's want to go for 15's partly because of the tire availability. i am one of those e30 guys. when my crappy 14in yoko es100's on my 325 die, there will be no good options besides selling the car or getting bigger wheels.....

Good info. I think there will be a few options but like you said far more 15" options. At least that's what I will tell the wife as to why I need a set of 15" bbs rz's or rs's.