Exhaust Pipe Question - Over Or Under The Diff?

Chamoix

My '73 came with Sthal headers, a middle resonator, and an exhaust pipe of unknown brand that goes over the rear subframe and diff to an ANSA muffler straight out the back.  Has always had a metallic rattle when starting, stopping, and sometimes at idle.  Very annoying.  I've had most of the system out various times over the years and added additional hangers to try and silence it, but nothing has seemed to work.  I've noticed lately on some of your under car shots that some people's exhaust pipe is routed under the rear subframe and the diff and was wondering if the under route might be a solution.  Does your pipe go over or under?  If under, any clearance problems?

Stock is over the subframe and next to the diff on the left side, just below/next to the CV joint. Most all performance exhausts are routed this way for ground clearance. The systems I've seen that go under the subframe have been done by muffler shops that could care less and either don't have the skill or time to bend and route the pipe properly. Or the customer doesn't want to spend the money to have it done right.

Archived