Need Help Teaching Someone To Drive A 2002

jgerock

My wonderful wife has decided to "let" me teach her how to drive a manual transmission car. Since my only candidate (driver's ed vehicle) is my 73tii, can you folks please provide some (hopefully helpful) advice on how best to go about teaching her the proper methods?

1) I tried to teach her once while we were dating using my 92 Honda Accord (she had the same year auto trans Honda) in a large mall parking lot.  She had issues transitioning into 2nd gear and stopping. It did not last past that first session (but she agreed to marry me :) ).

2) I fear that the bottom-hinged pedals will be troublesome.

3) I am semi-patient but need to remind myself that I have always been able to drive a manual shift car.

4) I will refrain from letting her watch those crazy "crank and stomp the gas pedal" videos.

Should I enlist the help of another female driver to do the schooling instead of by me?  We're not talking about having her register for a PDX next weekend..

Jim

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What worked for me when I was learning was being told to just let the clutch out (slowly) without applying throttle. That really helped me figure out the whole transition from stop to go and from gear to gear because it helped me figure out that the transition didn't have to be immediate, but could be more smooth.

i did this

wife wear small shoes

wife think the clutch is  like painting your toenails (nice easy let it off at end)

wife ignore me and feel the car

u

should be good if you can try not to cringe and get pissy

cheers gluck

Jim....i bet Janice would be available as instructor.  and if it is easier to start off in, my M3 could be used instead of your tii.

i once taught my 16yo sister in law to drive(and drive a manual tranny) in my fiat x-1/9.  that was interesting!

of course..the only cost to you for this would be a stint in the JCW....LOL!

one thing she could start doing..if her benz has a manual mode on auto-box, she can get used to choosing gears and shifting with out the clutch by using it.  then add the clutch factor later.

your item 4/ would get you in a lot of trouble!

1. Buahhahahaha

2. No don't do it

3. Forget the milk, go for the morphine now

4. I can always ask my wife if she would like to take my car and instruct. She will be here in mid August. My car should be here around the same time. We can make a weekend of it and come up from the south. But since she tore the accelerator pedal from the nubs the last time she drove it, she swore she wouldnt drive it again until I procured one of Rocans peddle kits.

I have observed my wifes driving style over the years. She wears 3" heels everyday to work, her foot action is unintuitive to me, and I cannot fathom how she drives that way. Even when she wears flats or gym shoes her foot action is the same. Very toe oriented with no heel touching. I cannot drive that way. She learned on a VW bus.

I met my wife in college, and she eventually had herself a key to my apartment.  I went away for a few weeks one summer, leaving my tii, and when I returned, she picked me up at the airport, surprise, IN MY BMW!  Fortunately, her father had trained her (and her 2 sisters) on a manual.

However, I don't think she's been behind the wheel of the tii since. Mostly because of it's lack of power steering.

I've taught at least 5 people in my 02- NOBODY STALLS. I have a method. 

First I briefly explain how a car works- where the engine is, what the transmission is doing and how power is being transferred. I feel that if people know this, the whole process is less of a mystery. Especially when you explain how a manual and an automatic are similar- they both do the same thing, but instead of it being automatic, it's, uh, manual. 

Starting on a flat surface, I tell them to feel out the pedals (gas and brake). Every car has different sensitivities. Before they start, the thing they need to know is that whenever they feel panicked or need to stop, press the clutch and brake. Press the clutch and brake. What do you do? "Press the clutch and brake." (Gotta drill it so they know!). Then I tell them to raise the revs to 2000 (just somewhere I picked). Then I tell them to let the clutch out as slowly as possible, but when the car starts to move, DON'T FREAK OUT. If they continue letting it out slowly, they most likely won't stall. At this point they're moving. That's the hard part. Shifting to second is easy. 

I find the 02 is an easy car to learn on because everything is analog. It's all right there and compared to a newer car, you can see most of the components that you're using (under the hood). I also find the bottom hinged pedals easier to use. 

-Matt

What worked for me when I was learning was being told to just let the clutch out (slowly) without applying throttle. That really helped me figure out the whole transition from stop to go and from gear to gear because it helped me figure out that the transition didn't have to be immediate, but could be more smooth.

exactly how i was taught!!! (my dad taught me in his 1988 nissan hardbody p/u) i also taught my gf how to drive a standard. first 3 days was just slowly releasing the clutch until the car starts moving.then put it back in not to let the car die. day 4 get car moving with jus the clutch, then give a little throttle.after she could keep the car moving in first. we practicing shifting. after she got good at that. i took her to the steepest residential hill i could find (small driveway like hill, on a dead end street, so there was no other cars to bother us). let me practice that for 2 days. then we took it to the streets. haha. now she drvies a 04 mustang in a 5speed with a 4.6L v8. **damn**

I taught my son how to drive a stick in my 02. Agree with the idea of clutch out with no throttle. Took about 30 minutes before he had it down... The fact that a 40 year old transmission can almost shift itself at this point probably helped. Be careful of unintended consequences however. Now he has a six speed with a short shift, adjustable differential and 350 HP under the hood. The boy seems to be genetically pure...If she likes it you could be headed to a new car. Just "keep calm and carry on" as the Brits would say...

You have a unique opportunity to teach your wife to double clutch from day one...

I would also also impress on her the need to defensively drive an 02 and keep a close eye on tailgaters and those that might not see our little brake lights.. 

Yup, me too. That's how my Dad thought me. A few times of learning where the clutch grabs and getting the car rolling without going for another gear. Helped that manuals are all we had. I've got a good story about driving an automatic for the first time; stomping my left foot to the floor looking for the clutch but catching the big brake pedal.

I couldn't imagine teaching my wife to drive a clutch. I had a hard enough time getting her used to performance driving and being a better passenger... I later had a bright idea of sending her to a Car Control Clinic with my Sister. That did the trick. Keep in mind that my sister is very much a car girl.

Ok, back to clutch... My wife already knew how to drive a manual (that's why I married her :) ). But I've tought a few others how to drive a clutch car.

One boss's son was great. After stalling the car a few times he asks "The clutch progressive isn't it?It's not an on off switch is it?" And later after getting used to it for a few times he asked "How much should I slip the clutch?" To which I replied "As little as absolutely necessary while remaining smooth, it's all in the throttle." He completely got it after that. After we couldn't find a hill in Sacramento to use I scared him saying that there are hills in San Francisco that are so steep that the sidewalks are stairs and they park crosswise like a parking lot. Good thing I didn't have to teach him how to parallel park on a hill...

My dad was great in saying that "we're gonna slip and burn the clutch today, that's OK for now; you're learning." That first day (there's a good hill at one end of that parking lot leading to another lot). After getting a little used to letting the clutch out, shifting to second, then third and back to second without and then with throttle and stopping a few times he tells me to head up the hill. When the car just gets pointed up at the base he says to stop, Knowing what he has in mind I turn to him and say "No!" But stop anyway. It really wasn't a very big hill, but it sure was big enough for me. He then told me to pull up with the parking brake and hold my thumb on the button, to slowly let the clutch out till I can feel it pulling on the brake. Give it a little throttle. Slowly release the parking brake, and just hold the car there on the clutch and throttle for a few seconds. Then give a little more throttle and clutch to drive away. As soon as I was rolling he said "Stop". A few more times of that and I got it. I think one of the things that put me at ease was that he said it was OK to slip and burn the clutch that day. That and it also helped that my dad is a very calm and patient person in general.

My advice, be as absolutely patient as humanly possible, tell her that its OK to slip the clutch the first few times; she's learning... Another idea is to take her to a massive empty parking lot, go through the basics with her a few times; of letting the car get rolling on the clutch without the throttle a few times, adding throttle in a few times... Take a break, hand her the keys and ask her if she'd like to try it on her own for a while; to call you when she's ready for you to come back after she's had a go at it by herself without you there to fluster her.

HTH

You have a unique opportunity to teach your wife to double clutch from day one...

I would also also impress on her the need to defensively drive an 02 and keep a close eye on tailgaters and those that might not see our little brake lights..

Don't forget heel & toe! :)

Nah, basics first man, no need to confuse her even more.

My advice, rev up to 4k, wait for the green, then drop that clutch like its hot... :)

Archived