• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent E10 Convert - Euro Bumpers Question

mysticm

Hello everyone- I have been a long time BMW owner but only recently decided to take the leap into E10 ownership. We purchased a '74 Inka Orange locally this past week-end and finally get what the 'joy' is all about.

I love everything about it and cannot wipe the smile when I take it out. Some immediate changes I want to make on the car are Euro bumpers and better looking wheels. At the moment it has some aftermarket Ronals on it.

Any suggestion on where to order / purchase the Euro bumpers from? I have been reading the posts here on installing these and plan to send a note to Anton for the custom brackets. 

Will post some pictures here shortly..meanwhile, I love the forum and cannot wait to start contributing.

Thanks.

FYI....they are not "euro bumpers".  they are early 2002 bumpers.  they came on all US models up to 1973, and all international models thoughout production. commonly called small or chrome bumpers.

sounds like you have done the research on how to adapt.  i highly recommend anton's brackets.  you can find used ones in for sale section and search on stainless bumpers and you will find some sources that are recreating new ones.

Edited by mlytle

2xM3

Also note that there are different rear bumpers. The shortys which were on pre 71 cars and the Turbos which are probably better if you are thinking of turbo flares or if I just like a minimal rear bumper and then there are the longhorns which are longer on the sides. Those were 71-73. I could be off by a year not sure but those are the rear options. I think the centers are the same just different sides. Most people buy a good used set and if they need, have them re chromed.

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2016 BMW 535i M Sport

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon
http://www.project2002.com

I have a front short bumper that I've been thinking of selling, in good condition a little surface rust that can be taken out with a steel wool. I can send you some pictures if you're interested.

1979 e21 318 (sold)

1975 Inka (sold)

1983 e21 320i (sold)

1974 Polaris (sold)

1975 M42 Swap (work in progress)

he shortys which were on pre 71 cars and the Turbos which are probably better if you are thinking of turbo flares or if I just like a minimal rear bumper and then there are the longhorns which are longer on the sides. Those were 71-73. I could be off by a year not sure but those are the rear options. I think the centers are the same just different sides. Most people buy a good used set and if they need, have them re chromed.

The shorty front/rear bumper crossover was mid '71.  My car was an early 1971 (February/March build date) and still retained the shorty bumpers (and short center console, and no shin-trim).

the early chrome bumpers don't have the rubber strip, and therefore, don't have the holes for the strip's mounting clips.  So the early and late chrome bumper parts aren't interchangeable. (Even the over rider delete seam covers are different.)

There is a 'euro' center for the rear. It involves the bumper mounted lights for the license plate.  As well, the rear uses the aforementioned over rider delete seam covers. 

I think the only negative I have picked up on, regarding Anton's brackets, is that they don't allow you to reuse the shock/gaping hole covers in the front, which may or may not irritate you in the end.  I thinks its a big deal and hopefully he has addressed it..  or maybe a work around has been discovered since.  I would imagine one could adjust the bracket bumper mount holes to clearance the covers, before drilling the car for the wing mounting points.  And I recommend getting proper BMW bumper end to body mounting bits.  Finishes off the appearance very well.  If you're gonna do it, don't short  yourself on the fit and finish.

See figure 12 and 14 in this diagram..

http://bmwmobiletradition-onlinecom.x-shops.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=ST12&mospid=47140&btnr=51_3326&hg=51&fg=15

55d836e1-ff7c-421f-989c-f69b04f94003.jpg

Edited by eurotrash

2002 newbie, and dead serious about it.
(O=o00o=O)
Smart Audio Products for your 2002

I have a front short bumper that I've been thinking of selling, in good condition a little surface rust that can be taken out with a steel wool. I can send you some pictures if you're interested.

Yes, I am interested. Please send pics to ranesy'at'yahoo'dot'com

Eurotrash I think the parts will bolt into each other just fine. I had the late side pieces on mine with the rubber trim. U just bought new early ends and they are exactly the same just without the rubber trim or mounting holes. The rear centers are the same as well except there is a euro center with lights for the license plate.

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2016 BMW 535i M Sport

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon
http://www.project2002.com

Well, here are the first of many pictures of the 2002. It came with some mods from the PO - MM 2200 engine w MM 4 speed transmission; IE stainless exhaust + headers; Bilstein HDs+ K&N springs, Recaros, Momo steering wheel, 38/38 Weber, F&R sways & a host of other small things....its like a treasure hunt. Each time I get into the car, I discover a new facet that I had missed earlier :)

Also recd. 8 boxes of parts, spares to go with the car. Some are the orig things which were replaced (seats, Solex, Weber 32/26 etc....) The best surprise was an original Factory repair manual (3 ring binder) & a OEM new dashboard w/o any cracks

Maxie_Jul13_1_zps85a4e23e.jpg

Maxie_Jul13_3_zpsf19dcaec.jpg

Edited by mysticm

Yes, I am interested. Please send pics to ranesy'at'yahoo'dot'com

mysticm, that is one beautiful square inka , I'm on the hunt for an original inka myself for my next project. below are some pictures of the bumper I'm selling, please note only the front bumper is for sale.

9v8oec.jpg

2cyi7lw.jpg

2luv43d.jpg

2aiojtz.jpg

slised.jpg

far3wh.jpg

Edited by ma.jomaa

1979 e21 318 (sold)

1975 Inka (sold)

1983 e21 320i (sold)

1974 Polaris (sold)

1975 M42 Swap (work in progress)

MYSTICM, welcome to the 02 world. I too have been a long time BMW owner but bought my first 02, a '74 last year. I also wanted to replace my bench bumpers but found they seem to grow on me after awhile. They also give me a piece of mind in case someone happens to bump into my car. One thing you can do for little cost is to collapse the bumper shocks and draw the bumpers into the body.

I also see that your front reflectors and lower trim have been deleted. The early chrome short bumpers may be a better choice for you if you go that route. The '71 to '73 longhorn rear bumpers go good with the lower trim because they  are on the same plane as the lower trim. The black rubber on the bumper seems to be continued by the trim.

I would want to replace those wheels. I found a nice set of bottle caps from an E30, Maybe not the coolest wheels but they seem to fit the car well.

Do your research. This is a great list and there is a lot of information. Enjoy your car. After  driving my 02, I have a hard time getting in my 528i. Much more refined and every thing works but not nearly as fun.

Peter Schoppelry

'74 2002

Frankfort, IL

Man, that paint is NICE.  If you swap to chrome bumpers, you will have to weld holes closed and repaint on the front and the back..  At that point, you might as well cut in the proper front brackets (1972 and back) and weld the big holes closed in the nose!  

OR, do a tuck and swap to a front bumper from a 320i.  click this link and scroll down to where I brought it up in a previous thread..  It has been done, and very effectively.

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/topic/106678-another-shortened-bumper-story/?hl=320+front+bumper#entry230879

2002 newbie, and dead serious about it.
(O=o00o=O)
Smart Audio Products for your 2002