Long Legged 2002, Anyone?

MoBrighta

Anyone have the same aversion I do for long distance travel, cross country, during daylight hours? Cursed be all amateurs in lesser vehicles, I say!

Well, I did something about it!  My 2002 was getting about 27-28 mpg, due to some engine work and throttle position anomalies (lead-foot tendencies), and I had things to do, people to see, in other states and other countries.  I was tired of stopping, and stopping, and stopping, to top off the tank, which holds only 12.5 gallons.

So, I designed and had Broomfield Sheet Metal weld up a spare tank, which as it turns out, holds about 27 gallons!  I stuck it in the trunk, in between the rear wheel housings, and strapped it in.  I wired up a level sender to see on the dash gauge what it had in it, connected it to the electric fuel pump I was using for the stock tank, through a fuel selector valve I found at the RV parts store. 

Works like a CHAMP!!!  I tested it out on a trip from Denver, Colorado to upper Ontario Province, and got all the way to St Louis, MO before I had to stop for gas, a distance of 967 miles!  Worked so well I used it for years and years, taking advantage of lower gas prices when I found them. Also let me drive at night, with the professionals, in my opinion a much safer time to travel with no 'civilians' on the road!

Well, it came out cause my butt isn't quite so sturdy as it used to be, and I'm driving my E28 535i more and more, and I am thinking that some young buck (or doe!) out there might like the 'extended range' capability now that I no longer need it.

I Posted it under Parts For Sale, with pics. Anyone interested? 

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/classifieds/item/600-spare-fuel-tank-28-gallon/

Thanks for looking,

Andy

Edited by MoBrighta