Can't Get Trunk To Seal

jrhone

I am trying to getting trunk to seal. I am getting exhaust smell in the cabin and I pretty sure it's coming from the trunk. I adjusted the trunk at the hinge and that works great. The problem is at the rear with the latch. I adjusted the latch on the trunk lid all the way. In fact I even ground down the latch so I could get the trunk closed even more tightly. I am still about 1/4 inch away from being tight. Ideas?

Well its not actually sealing at the gasket and on the sides where there are rubber feet on the trunk lid , those rubber feet are not touching at all and not even close.  I can push down on the trunk and its about 1/4" more before its a tight fit.  I will get a new BMW gasket, but my fear is that its so far off that it wont matter especially since I have done everything I can do to adjust it.  

I think its my trunk lid.  It has some rust repair near the latch and I bet they pulled it out too far or the repair added to the thickness so the latch is higher than it should be so it doesnt make a tight seal.

If I were you I would colour the rubber seal with something then close the lid, open it and see where it doesn't seat well. More clamping force is not the answer, adjustment is.

Failing that I would seal off the speakers with some cap from your cabin.

Seal the speakers?  If you mean the rear deck, I have no speakers or holes in the rear deck.  

Have someone shut you in the trunk in the daylight.  You will see daylight where it is gapped. That metal lip has some bend to it so you can bend it up a bit.  Also even the OEM rubber profile is different from NOS. I ended up going to Home Depot and buying that 1/4 think foam tape (used to seal house doors).  I peeled and stuck it to my trunk lid on the underside and this sealed her up fine.  No more fumes.  Also check your tail light gaskets.  They get old and shrink up which can also allow fumes in