Weird Clutch Problems

I just had an interesting day. A crappy one actually.

My '71 2002 had some trouble shifting between first and second, so I tought the usual suspects were at fault. I thought I would bleed the clutch, and look for leaks first.

I asked my dad to work the clutch while I roll around on the ground for fun, but it didn't go too well. After the first depress&bleed, there was no clutch at all and very little fluid came out when the pedal was depressed.

I suspected the hose from the reservoir might be blocked but the fluid flowed freely from it when I unhooked it. It spewed fluid all over my paint when it slipped out of hand. So after washing it all off with soapy, warm water, I continued my search.

I bought new seals for the master cylinder and fitted them but the clutch still wouldnt bleed. Being for another car, I thought the rubber seals were not working, so I went back to the store and found some that were a little bigger. Still didn't work.

I put the old rubbers back out of frustration (I opened the mc 5 times in one day, not fun. It is RHD btw) and tried to bleed but still no luck.

Then I attached my pressure bleeder and built up some pressure, and my clutch worked. I bled the air out and all was well, until I bled it once more by depressing the pedal. No clutch again.

If I hook up the pressure, even without bleeding, then I have my clutch back, but if I bleed it the other way, it is gone.

Yes, I know how to bleed the system. Yes, I am confused.

I'm not even sure what could cause this, but I sure don't like it.

so if you pressure bleed it, then close the system, and remove the bleeder, it works?

Or does it stop working when you remove the bleeder?

If the latter, my suspicion would be that the bore of the master cylinder is scored...

...but I bet you checked that, huh?

The rubber cup in the master relies on hydraulic pressure to keep a good seal- somehow, you're losing

that seal.  A deep scratch or gouge can do it, as can a crack in the cup or misassembly, but not much else.

hmmm...

t

No, thats the weird part. It works even after I disconnect the pressure.

I drove it arount to see if it fades it something but it works perfectly now. The gears even engage better.

I'm a bit lost to be honest. I have never seen anything like this before, and knowing the mechanics, I can't even figure out ant set of circumstances that could explain it.

I'm beginning to think my friends are pulling off a REALLY elaborate prank.

Edited by Cyclone101

Re overheating--

Are you sure it was overheating?  Did you check coolant temp with a mechanical gauge?  And even more important, when you refilled the cooing system after installing all those new parts, did you burp it to get the air pocket out?  2002s are notorious for air pockets, and they'll cause overheating 'cause the coolant can't circulate, and thus the thermostat won't open. 

Before you panic, make sure there's no air in the system, and the temp gauge is accurate.  Check archives for how to burp the cooling system, and check the temp gauge.

cheers

mike

Doh. I hate it when that happens.... Lost an alternator on the way to a track day once- it was like someone took away Christmas.

t

I know right!

Have been working late nights on the car to have it ready in time, just to be disappointed.

You win some, you lose some.

Re overheating--

Are you sure it was overheating? Did you check coolant temp with a mechanical gauge? And even more important, when you refilled the cooing system after installing all those new parts, did you burp it to get the air pocket out? 2002s are notorious for air pockets, and they'll cause overheating 'cause the coolant can't circulate, and thus the thermostat won't open.

Before you panic, make sure there's no air in the system, and the temp gauge is accurate. Check archives for how to burp the cooling system, and check the temp gauge.

cheers

mike

Yes it overheated, it boiled.

I did burp the system after all my repairs, and took a 2 hour drive last week to make sure all was fine and it ran perfectly.

After that I didn't touch the cooling system, only my clutch and put on a new dizzy cap and rotor.

I am losing coolant now, will go to a radiator shop tomorrow to check pressure test and check for exhaust gas in my coolant.

I hope its not a head gasket.