Newbie Owner!

Poloace

I am now the very proud owner of a 71 2002. Just picked her up today. Car looks beautiful, but there's def issues I aim to address.

1- in shifting from 2nd to 3rd, the car grinds a bit. If I let the rpms drop close to zero with the clutch in and then shift from 2 to 3, there's no grind. Does that suggest that it's a synchro issue? Also, have been reading a lot about redline transmission fluid... Would placing that maybe help my problem?

2- the right tail light is out, but, it still works upon braking. This I think I should be able to tinker w and fix.

(You can tell I'm a super newbie)

Thanks to all. Looking forward to making amazing things happen.

Congrats.

Munchy shift from 2nd to 3rd, but no munch when engine isn't revved, does indicate it's likely a synchro issue. 2002s are famous for wearing out 2nd gear synchro, but 3rd certainly is possible. You can try Redline MTL, may help it a little. Does it also munch going from 4th to 3rd, and then not munch if you double-clutch and match revs? If so, very likely a synchro issue.

change all fluids like Right NOW  with redline stuff,or whatever the faq likes the most,,,,,,,,,,,then put your rig on jacks and touch/stare /massage/photograph/hitheadon :wacko: /paint/lube, everything ;enjoy it like you are the first owner.

edit2x I prolonged crunchyshift w redline :D

Edited by ndog

the gear change crunchies ..... 

my red-faced story is that for decades I used Hypoid gear oil in the transmission.  Just last year I finally discovered my error and switched to Redline MTL in the transmission and no more gear change crunchies.

What I learned was that Hypoid is too slippery for a transmission ..... sounds bizarre at best.  BUT, since using a non-hypoid in the trans:  no more crunchies.

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/topic/135183-manual-transmission-gear-oil-use-the-right-stuff/

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/topic/134648-to-use-redline-mtl-or-not/

Cheers,

Carl

Is changing of fluids something i should be able to do as a novice? Anyone have a good link to some DIY 2002 upkeep for beginners?

We don't know your abilities.  You need to be sure you can get the fill plug loose before touching the drain plug!  Then fill with the appropriate fluid.

This entire forum is a DIY  Use the Search button at the top right of the pages to read previous posts on the subject of interest to you.