• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Weber Dcoe 40 Rebuild

Tavioli

Hey guys,

Just wanted to know how much it would cost for a full rebuild of some 40 DCOE's? I got a set of ebay that need a good amount of work. I guess the throttle shaft one both of them are cracked and need replacing. I can do the work myself, i just dont have the time. I got a quote of 180.00 each for a rebuild. Does that seem right?

Electric fuel pump. Mechanical advance distributor. Hot spark package. Water bypass kit. Linkage. Manifolds. Air cleaners. Tii brake booster if you don't have clearance for the air cleaners. Depends on which manifolds and which air cleaners you have. It you could slap them in with what u have. Probably will not run great. Others may chime in.

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2016 BMW 535i M Sport

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon
http://www.project2002.com

Fuel pump. Your stock probably won't deliver enough fuel for 2 carbs. Especially at higher rpms. Also mechanical fuel pumps don't deliver a steady flow. It varies and fluctuates by rpm. So I'm told. DCOEs really like a constant fuel pressure no matter the rpm. So that's why an electric fuel pump is ideal. Can you put them on with a stock furl pump. Sure. It would be better to go with the Bavaria fuel pump if you go mechanical. Best of all options is an electric fuel pump.

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2016 BMW 535i M Sport

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon

The stock fuel pump's fine- the Webers aren't much more thirsty.  Look at all the 'I'm getting 10 mpg' threads

from 32/36 owners...  and the Webers will do 20 if tuned for it.

Good score- the chokes and trumpets are worth what you paid.

Do be prepared to have a hard time finding some repair parts if you need them-

the older designs for things like transition jet carriers are no longer made.

And they're easy to work on yourself, if you're careful.  It's actually better economy

to do that, then have someone set up to do them do the tuning- you'll

only pay for one set of jets, air correctors, et cetera...

hth

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

The stock fuel pump's fine- the Webers aren't much more thirsty.  Look at all the 'I'm getting 10 mpg' threads

from 32/36 owners...  and the Webers will do 20 if tuned for it.

Good score- the chokes and trumpets are worth what you paid.

Do be prepared to have a hard time finding some repair parts if you need them-

the older designs for things like transition jet carriers are no longer made.

And they're easy to work on yourself, if you're careful.  It's actually better economy

to do that, then have someone set up to do them do the tuning- you'll

only pay for one set of jets, air correctors, et cetera...

hth

t

JUst curious...talked to MANY 02 shops and maybe they build too many M10 race engines but NONE of them wanted to do a DCOE install with a stock fuel pump, let alone with a Bavaria pump which pumps more fuel....

2016 BMW 535i M Sport

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon

Hmm- I've used the mechanical on 40's with no problem.  I wonder if it's the pulsing that they don't like.

But a Weber really doesn't need all that much fuel...

oh.

Except when the bowls are dry.  Then it would take about 45 minutes of cranking to fill them.

Maybe that's it.

The big deal is to make sure they have a steady 2.5 psi or so...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Hmm- I've used the mechanical on 40's with no problem.  I wonder if it's the pulsing that they don't like.

But a Weber really doesn't need all that much fuel...

oh.

Except when the bowls are dry.  Then it would take about 45 minutes of cranking to fill them.

Maybe that's it.

The big deal is to make sure they have a steady 2.5 psi or so...

t

Could be the pulsing.  I thought mechanical would be so much simpler right?  But EVERY reputable shop I talked to about it said, nope you want the electric fuel pump.  I did talk to one sidedraft guru and he said the pulsing was an issue because they really want a constant pressure and the mechanical pumps changed pressure depending on RPM which made them hard to tune properly.  Again thats according to him.  I have yet to have a 02 shop suggest a mechanical fuel pump for Sidedrafts.  Im not saying it wont work, but will a electric work better?  And if I can use my stock wont that be cheaper???

2016 BMW 535i M Sport

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon