Weber Dcoe 40 Rebuild

Tavioli

Hey guys,

Just wanted to know how much it would cost for a full rebuild of some 40 DCOE's? I got a set of ebay that need a good amount of work. I guess the throttle shaft one both of them are cracked and need replacing. I can do the work myself, i just dont have the time. I got a quote of 180.00 each for a rebuild. Does that seem right?

Well I just got a set of BMW Ti manifolds as well. TIme to start looking for linkage, and water bypass kit. what elce do you guys think I will need to install them on a 76 with a e12 head. Im also looking into a 292 cam.   ... smog people be damned! 

Electric fuel pump. Mechanical advance distributor. Hot spark package. Water bypass kit. Linkage. Manifolds. Air cleaners. Tii brake booster if you don't have clearance for the air cleaners. Depends on which manifolds and which air cleaners you have. It you could slap them in with what u have. Probably will not run great. Others may chime in.

No air cleaners yet, I was going to get the IE ones after my carbs where rebuilt. as for fule, I wanted to use mechanical. For distributer I was looking for a tii one. Money is tight right now :/ You dont think the stock distributer would work?

Fuel pump. Your stock probably won't deliver enough fuel for 2 carbs. Especially at higher rpms. Also mechanical fuel pumps don't deliver a steady flow. It varies and fluctuates by rpm. So I'm told. DCOEs really like a constant fuel pressure no matter the rpm. So that's why an electric fuel pump is ideal. Can you put them on with a stock furl pump. Sure. It would be better to go with the Bavaria fuel pump if you go mechanical. Best of all options is an electric fuel pump.

The stock fuel pump's fine- the Webers aren't much more thirsty.  Look at all the 'I'm getting 10 mpg' threads

from 32/36 owners...  and the Webers will do 20 if tuned for it.

Good score- the chokes and trumpets are worth what you paid.

Do be prepared to have a hard time finding some repair parts if you need them-

the older designs for things like transition jet carriers are no longer made.

And they're easy to work on yourself, if you're careful.  It's actually better economy

to do that, then have someone set up to do them do the tuning- you'll

only pay for one set of jets, air correctors, et cetera...

hth

t

The stock fuel pump's fine- the Webers aren't much more thirsty.  Look at all the 'I'm getting 10 mpg' threads

from 32/36 owners...  and the Webers will do 20 if tuned for it.

Good score- the chokes and trumpets are worth what you paid.

Do be prepared to have a hard time finding some repair parts if you need them-

the older designs for things like transition jet carriers are no longer made.

And they're easy to work on yourself, if you're careful.  It's actually better economy

to do that, then have someone set up to do them do the tuning- you'll

only pay for one set of jets, air correctors, et cetera...

hth

t

JUst curious...talked to MANY 02 shops and maybe they build too many M10 race engines but NONE of them wanted to do a DCOE install with a stock fuel pump, let alone with a Bavaria pump which pumps more fuel....

Hmm- I've used the mechanical on 40's with no problem.  I wonder if it's the pulsing that they don't like.

But a Weber really doesn't need all that much fuel...

oh.

Except when the bowls are dry.  Then it would take about 45 minutes of cranking to fill them.

Maybe that's it.

The big deal is to make sure they have a steady 2.5 psi or so...

t

Hmm- I've used the mechanical on 40's with no problem.  I wonder if it's the pulsing that they don't like.

But a Weber really doesn't need all that much fuel...

oh.

Except when the bowls are dry.  Then it would take about 45 minutes of cranking to fill them.

Maybe that's it.

The big deal is to make sure they have a steady 2.5 psi or so...

t

Could be the pulsing.  I thought mechanical would be so much simpler right?  But EVERY reputable shop I talked to about it said, nope you want the electric fuel pump.  I did talk to one sidedraft guru and he said the pulsing was an issue because they really want a constant pressure and the mechanical pumps changed pressure depending on RPM which made them hard to tune properly.  Again thats according to him.  I have yet to have a 02 shop suggest a mechanical fuel pump for Sidedrafts.  Im not saying it wont work, but will a electric work better?  And if I can use my stock wont that be cheaper???