Looking For Information On My Carb'd Turbo Setup

POKTROKT

First off, I really like this forum the members are very helpful and the content is very informative. 

I had a chance to buy this 320i really cheap, it was someone's project that didn't go anywhere.  The main reason i bought it was because of the engine, it is an M10 with a Cartech turbo system.  I have contacted Cartech but have not had any luck with information regarding this system.

http://www.cartech.net/bmwm20turbo.htm

It is the system on the left

Cartech_crop.jpg

This motor is going into my 1976 2002, I picked up this car a few weeks ago and I am slowly putting it back on the road.

I'll keep trying to get information from Cartech but in the meantime if anyone has any information on this kit or carburated turbo systems, it would be very helpful when it comes time to swap the motor in. 

It looks straight forward but my main questions are:

- What do i need for a fuel pump - low pressure? high pressure? the system comes with a fuel pressure regulator but I'm not sure how much pressure the system needs.

It is going to be a fun project, I'm looking forward to it, I'll post a project thread for the 2002 soon.

gallery_44285_33_16018.jpggallery_44285_33_80609.jpg

Good luck, do some research on "blow through carburetor" turbo set ups.  Those carbs were never intended to be pressurized, Normally when someone tries that they put the entire carb inside the pressurized box. trying to seal all the shafts, vents etc is a real pain in the A__.

The biggest thing is you have to make sure you have a variable fuel pressure regulator, those carbs need 2.5-3 psi of fuel pressure  (normally aspirated) at 6 psi of boost you won't get any fuel to flow into the carb unless the fuel pressure is above that 6psi.  If you run at 8.5-9 psi all the time you will have trouble with overpowering the floats and they will flood. 

I'd also check ALL the carb gaskets as blow-through systems are notouriously tough on carbs. Needle and seats also wear quick if you try to run higher fuel pressure all the time so like the post above; look into a pressure reg for turbos that ties to boost. That should be fun to drive!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the info, using "blow-through" in the search and google lands a ton of info.

The engine is just sitting in my garage, I can't "not" try it. My expectations are not outrageous, I want to keep the setup old school and interesting and hope to make a bit of power... if it doesn't work out I can always switch to FI

The engine came with a rising rate fuel pressure regulator and turbo spark controller, I will have to source a fuel pump though.

• 1 month later...

Good luck, do some research on "blow through carburetor" turbo set ups.  Those carbs were never intended to be pressurized, Normally when someone tries that they put the entire carb inside the pressurized box. trying to seal all the shafts, vents etc is a real pain in the A__.

The biggest thing is you have to make sure you have a variable fuel pressure regulator, those carbs need 2.5-3 psi of fuel pressure  (normally aspirated) at 6 psi of boost you won't get any fuel to flow into the carb unless the fuel pressure is above that 6psi.  If you run at 8.5-9 psi all the time you will have trouble with overpowering the floats and they will flood. 

Just to clarify. You need a boost referenced fuel regulator, which im sure the one in the kit is. It must have a vacuum line on the back side of the diaphragm. This would increase the fuel pressure 1:1 with boost pressure. If the regulator with the kit is inop or questionable an Aeromotive pn 13301 regulator would get the job done. 

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/aei-13301

You would need to find a fuel pump that can pump 3.5 psi + your boost. Im guessing you will run 6-15 psi of boost so you would want a 15-20 psi fuel pump.      

If you havent already i would highly recommend a wideband O2 sensor to help prevent blowing up your engine.