Opinions/experience With Kyb Shocks And Vogtland Springs?

manny02

Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with KYB shocks and/or Vogtland springs. There's a kit going on eBay for a pretty decent price, and I wanted to check with you guys before buying them.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KYB-4-SHOCKS-SPRINGS-E10-BMW-1502-2002-2002ti-2002tii-2002turbo-touring-/400498637548?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3ABMW%7CModel%3A2002&hash=item5d3f943aec&vxp=mtr

Also, I would like to know how the car looks with the Vogtland springs. Thanks!

-Manny

Hate KYB's, have for eons. I've installed/removed many sets over the years and would rather install Monroe Gasmatics (those are crap for Bimmers too BTW...). Koni, Bilstein, Spax, Tokico are in order of preference. I have no experience with Vogtland springs. I would ask if they're German TÜV approved, I know H&R's are and that's why they don't fall out of the spring perches under full droop. That's why I/we recommend H&R springs. I hate springs that fall out when the car goes up on a lift I don't have time to grab two helpers to help hold the front springs when I set the car back down on the ground.

HTH

Hate KYB's, have for eons. I've installed/removed many sets over the years and would rather install Monroe Gasmatics (those are crap for Bimmers too BTW...). Koni, Bilstein, Spax, Tokico are in order of preference. I have no experience with Vogtland springs. I would ask if they're German TÜV approved, I know H&R's are and that's why they don't fall out of the spring perches under full droop. That's why I/we recommend H&R springs. I hate springs that fall out when the car goes up on a lift I don't have time to grab two helpers to help hold the front springs when I set the car back down on the ground.

HTH

Thanks for the advice. My tire guy wanted to install the KYB shocks since they were cheaper for him to get on their own. But now I'm split between Bilstein and Koni. I know Mercedes guys that have gone with either and been happy.

And for springs, I also know Mercedes owners that have been very satisfied with Vogtland quality, but I don't know how how they'll hold up with our cars.

Any recommendations?

I have the Eibach springs on my 74 - Nice set of springs. I ask Eibach what shocks they recomended for their springs. Their tech dept told me all testing on the 2002 with their springs were performed with KYB Gasmatics.I had already stripped my suspenson , blasted and painted it. So the last thing I wanted to do was put something in there that didnt measure up.I was happy as hell that they were KYB.I've ran them for years like 30 or more years of cars and trucks that Ive owned  and have never had an issue.To not really have to buy one of the most expensive shocks on the planit to get the results that come  recomended by one of the best spring makers around was a nice plus.Here are a few shots of my suspenson R&R.

Catman

post-44335-0-82256600-1370615115_thumb.j

post-44335-0-99511800-1370615135_thumb.j

post-44335-0-20557800-1370615170_thumb.j

post-44335-0-63950600-1370615197_thumb.j

post-44335-0-50871400-1370615245_thumb.j

post-44335-0-35076900-1370615295_thumb.j

post-44335-0-65408000-1370615356_thumb.j

post-44335-0-35171100-1370615381_thumb.j

post-44335-0-59080200-1370615483_thumb.j

post-44335-0-93027300-1370615546_thumb.j

post-44335-0-85437500-1370615573_thumb.j

post-44335-0-76738800-1370615601_thumb.j

post-44335-0-30358500-1370615638_thumb.j

I agree with Tom, the KYB's are not valved well for the 2002.  Ask anyone who's worked on these cars for any length of time and they'll pretty much all agree.  The rears are valved stiffer than the Bilstein sports while the fronts are radically different and tend to give rather vague feedback.

As for the springs, yes I'm bias but I love my IE stage 1's.  I like a non-TUV spring because they tend to not bind as quickly as the spring coils can be spread further apart (tend not to fret about the little extra step of aligning them when lowering the car from the lift).

Shocks... ah, the opinions!  I actually didn't mind KYB's, even on the track, with stiffer- than- stock springs...

Konis are good, too- recently, I've had some failures, but that might just be me.

Bils are good, too- but I haven't liked the several valvings I've had on the track...

Meh?

t

I bought a set of KYB's from this seller on ebay (shocks only). Price was great and they shipped them very quickly. The instructions were indecipherable, however. I suppose I got them installed correctly (only did the rears at this time).

Can't really tell you how they compare to the Bils they replaced, as they were completely shot when I got the car. So, all I can say is, "They are better than nothing!".

I didn't replace springs.

I use Boge OE oil shocks with HR springs with all new poly/rubber bushings, great ride and handling. I never liked the Bilsteins (although they are great shocks) because they make the car too stiff for my taste, especially if your roads have many pot holes.One problem with Boge/HR combination is that the rear of the car seats really low and I had someone made me poly upper spring spacers (3/4") that go on the top of the factory upper rubber rings to lift the back a little.