• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What Type Of Car Is A 2002?

Stuart

...."do you see the 02 as a collector,

classic,

hobbyist car,

or investment ????"

...the hobbyist are here chatting about

fixing, preserving, finding, sourcing parts

and services

...the collectors and investors are not present here.

They don't know this board exists

They live on a different planet

just one mann's $20.02 wurth

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

I would consider them within the same market type as .... say American Muscle Cars, or the 2002's rival's the 510 and the GTV. The prices range as much as the types of owners do, that is to say all over the board.  The good non-rusty affordable cars are drying up (like in the previously mentioned markets) and though they are still out there, the prices are trending upwards. 

The 2002 as a car will never be a "collector car" like a Jag xk120, but there will be submodels within the model range that will be much more valuable (again... like a Turbo, Ti, [ or a Boss 302, Hemi Cuda, etc.]).

Edited by AceAndrew

...."do you see the 02 as a collector,

classic,

hobbyist car,

or investment ????"

...the hobbyist are here chatting about

fixing, preserving, finding, sourcing parts

and services AND DRIVING THEM

...the collectors and investors are not present here.

They don't know this board exists

THEY DONT DRIVE CARS

They live on a different planet

just one mann's $20.02 wurth

hope you don't mind, I modified your post a bit CD..in caps.

2xM3

Yes a collector car ....once you have one you seem to keep getting more in various states of disrepair . Im not alone here, an I Hmmm?

Hobbiest car for sure.

72/2002 Inca

72tii/2002 "Apple"

70/2002 "Five "

73/2002 "Freeda"

2007 Lotus 7 Replica

2011 Ford xr6 Ute

85 E30 325

70 1600-2 "Orange"

Just be patient. Even in my area where I got what I wanted for a decent price I'm still seeing 02s pop up for way more than I would pay. You'll find something eventually!

Bear in mind that the ability to actually close a transaction for a hobbyist (?) car that is +/- 40 years old is by itself a great negotiating point.  The truth is, demand is not as high as frequent readers of this forum might believe. 

I'm pretty sure you can get almost any decent '02 for 60-90% of the asking price just by showing the seller you can swap money for title and car the same afternoon.

I found mine for what I think is a pretty fair/low price. It wasn't listed anywhere, just sitting in a guy's yard. I've had my eye on it for a few years and just decided to stop and knock on his door. Turns out it was his son's old car. It quit running and he just left there. He said it was sitting about 3 years, but I think it was closer to 6!

Called the guy, agreed on a price and I picked it up a couple days later.

Rust-free '71, twin Weber 40's, sun-rotted Recaros, dash that looks like the Dakota Badlands and a tiny little dent up front. All the glass is good, near perfect headliner, all the electrical works (except the heater fan).

Got it running, fixed a few things, replaced the center bearing for the driveline, cleaned it up somewhat and been drivin' the hell out of it since!

^ i read this forum and I believe the "readers"of this forum might actually be informed and devalue any car......that being said, you can buy a decent boat for 60-90%cash money right now

I've found a number of them popping up for 1000-5000 in my local area. I got mine for $1500 and haven't looked back. Collector car, maybe, but definitely a niche/cult car for sure.

I would be happy if the 2002's (turbo aside for being rare and awesome), never became a collector car. These cars are meant to be driven and I cringe at the thought of these being scooped up, and not driven.

I personally love the way they drive an the fact that there is barely any on the streets where I live. No one has the same car as me and that's frickin awesome!

1974 2002 - M20/Getrag 260 swap underway