What Type Of Car Is A 2002?

Stuart

All -

I am finding it very frustrating to locate a non tii 02 at a reasonable price.  The prices being asked are unreal and in my opinion will not hold over time like a more "classic" type car.  I apologize to those that do view the 02 as a collector/classic car.

So hence my question. 

Do you see the 02 as a collector/classic or hobbyist car?  Two very different things that pull different prices.  If it is a "hobbyist" type car then the hobbyists are being priced out of the market.  Am I just being unrealistic in the affordability of a solid 72 or 73 02? 

Or.........is this just a case of sour grapes?

Thoughts? 

Given the numbers of '02s made, it was never rare though getting hard to find as they are used up and/or rust away.  It wasn't exotic or particularly expensive back in the day.

My stand is that it's definitely not classic as the age alone is insufficient to justify that status.

Hobby or enthusiast is more likely the correct category.  For the money there are many much better performing, safer cars available.  No one in their right economic mind would own a 2002 nowadays.  Their technology is from the 60s... carbs?  Whazzat?  ABS?  AC?  A decent radio?  CD?  and so on....

OTOH, I just got my 15th 2002.  I will admit to "enthusiast" mixed with a good bit of "glutton for punishment".

Given the numbers of '02s made, it was never rare though getting hard to find as they are used up and/or rust away.  It wasn't exotic or particularly expensive back in the day.

My stand is that it's definitely not classic as the age alone is insufficient to justify that status.

Hobby or enthusiast is more likely the correct category.  For the money there are many much better performing, safer cars available.  No one in their right economic mind would own a 2002 nowadays.  Their technology is from the 60s... carbs?  Whazzat?  ABS?  AC?  A decent radio?  CD?  and so on....

OTOH, I just got my 15th 2002.  I will admit to "enthusiast" mixed with a good bit of "glutton for punishment".

right mind... RIGHT MIND?! 

RIGHT MINDDD!!!!! 

YOU'D HAVE TO BE CRAZY NOT TO DAILY DRIVE A 40 YEAR OLD CAR! 

:)

Though, I will admit to having a bit of modern tech inside my car.... though no AC. Instead of adding one to the car, I decided to not install one in my room ;). Saves money and because race car :)

Also ABS and traction control ruins the fun! 

If you need those things, then it just means you need more tire. And if you can't break the tires loose, it means you need more power and better brakes. Repeat until you can no longer hit the gas or brakes without experiencing a couple G's worth of forces in either direction :)

Edited by Rocan

When I switch back and forth between my newer vehicles and the tii, I appreciate both the newer ones for their safety and comfort and the driving experience in the tii.   I sometimes have to think about the turn signal stalk and e-brake locations and the fact that I don't have a clutch pedal in daily drivers.  

If you can have a little more patience, a nice example may be available right in your neck of the woods without your knowledge.  Sometimes, all it takes is to strike up a conversation at a social gathering. I am still surprised at the number of 2002's in this area that are rarely seen out on the road. 

It's your location.

They're still pretty affordable around here.

And it's the wrong time to buy- wait until fall...

And they WERE expensive when new- a

72 Chevelle was a lot more car (at least, it went

faster in the 1/4 mile, and weighted twice as much)

and cost about a thousand less...

t

Just be patient. Even in my area where I got what I wanted for a decent price I'm still seeing 02s pop up for way more than I would pay. You'll find something eventually!

My thoughts exactly!  Mine was the first one I had seen in quite a while that was even remotely close to my price range, even though it was overpriced.  Since I bought it, I've seen a ton pop up that are very reasonably priced.  You just have to be patient, and look EVERYWHERE. 

I have a '76 2002, a '77 e21 320i, a '96 Ford F150 long bed pickup, and a 2012 Fiat 500 Sport.  All are great fun to drive for their own purposes.  My 2002 is heavily modified, lightened, stiff, noisy as hell, and a complete hoot.  But it's seldom on the road, as I'm continually modifying it.  The 320i is more of a touring car, with a 5-speed trans and a 3.64 LSD, and a slightly stiffened suspension.  My wife and I use it on longer trips when we need to carry luggage.  The truck is a bit jacked up and beat up, and though it handles like a truck, it hauls us and our garden equipment, toys, furniture, etc. like a champ at 80 MPH.  It looks like a piece of junk, and nobody in their right mind would dare try to cut it off in traffic, for fear that the driver wouldn't give a damn.  It has a side exhaust that's a bit noisy, and thumping stereo installed by the previous owner.  Lots of fun to drive.  The Fiat is new to us, and is quite a nimble little car.  Power and weight are just about dead even with a stock 76 2002, but the electronics, A/C, safety equipment, etc. are much better, and the ride is a good deal quieter.  It makes for a great commuter car, though neither my wife nor I commute by car.

I consider the 2002 a classic AND a hobbyist car.  The 2002 set the world on fire when it was released, and it did quite well in racing and rallye circuits, earning recognition as a driver's car.  Most parts are easily replaced and/or upgraded, and there are numerous options for swapping in more modern systems, such as motors, transmissions, brakes, A/C, radiators, etc.  Easy to maintain and modify.  So it's a good hobbyist car as well.

Of our 4 current cars, which will I still own 20 years from now?  I suspect I'll still have the 2002.  Not so sure about the 320i.  Definitely not the truck or the Fiat. 

Being in the Hot Rod & Classic Car Restoration business I have owned & driven too many cars to remember , I still own my original 1932 Ford Roadster with a British Hemi Engine , 5 speed trans , no fenders (Hiboy ) it's an amazing car BUT once I got my 2002 I became enamored by it's sheer drivability , I use it every day & when I can I run track days at Willow Springs , it is noisy & stands out in the crowd. I consider it a classic as it was the 1st sports sedan & is all old technology ( manually adjusted rear brakes ffs , same as Ford in 1939 !! ) I would not get rid of my 02 for anything the sheer pleasure I get even driving to work is irreplaceable .

Classic Hobbyist Collector car for me the 02 checks all the boxes.