• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spare Fuel Tank For 2002 Roundie

I was planning to delete my spare tire compartment and current fuel tank next winter and run a big fuel cell. A turbo on the M20 could make it quite thirsty and I plan on going on some big road trips so its only natural. Alpina had a larger tank aswell

AlpinA+90L+Fuel+Tank+3+(2).jpg

Yes they did.  I found one for sale a few months back and purchased it.  Apparently this one holds 100L, I hope to find out exactly how much some day.  For now, into storage.  Extra fuel tank/storage has been a topic of conversation for as long as I can remember.  AlpinA did make a secondary tank for the E-21 cars and I have seen some pics of an aluminum secondary tank somewhere.  Will have to look through my stuff to see if I can find it or still have it.....Link to article I did on the 90L tank (100L) below.

http://www.alpinabmw2002.com/2013/05/alpina-2oo2-90-liter-fuel-tank.html

Either way, 90 or 100 liters, that is HUGE for a little bitty car like the 2002 !

Andy the tail light guy says "Be Seen, and Not Hurt!"  [mailto:mobrighta@comcast.net]

Lighting Upgrades for E3, E9, E10, E12, E21, E23, E24, E28, E30, E32, E36, E39 - front & back
Tail Light upgrades keep them off your tail, out of your trunk;
Headlight film keeps your 'eyes' from being scratched out or broken.

It is for sure.  But think how nice to be on a road trip and not be having to fill up so often.....or if you are running a HP motor being able to fill up with your favorite high octane go-go juice and being able to run around for a good long time wtihout a refill.  Of course that would be one hell of a bill at the $7-8 (?) they are probably charging.....

www.alpinabmw2002.com

Either way, 90 or 100 liters, that is HUGE for a little bitty car like the 2002 !

This is what happens when you have over 900 posts in your blog, you forget some of the stuff you have posted.  Like I said, I  knew that I had seen an auxiliary fuel tank for the o2 before.....link below.....

http://www.alpinabmw2002.com/2011/12/bmw-2002-auxiliary-fuel-tank-auction.html

... think how nice to be on a road trip and not be having to fill up so often....

Don't have to think, just to remember!  I was able to get about 970 miles on a dual-tankful.

Most useful on midnight runs from Colorado to Northern Ontario Province in Canada.  And no, nothing illegal, just a cabin I was eager to get to for a relaxing week away from phones, electricity, traffic, running water, all that 'civilisation' stuff.

Andy the tail light guy says "Be Seen, and Not Hurt!"  [mailto:mobrighta@comcast.net]

Lighting Upgrades for E3, E9, E10, E12, E21, E23, E24, E28, E30, E32, E36, E39 - front & back

wow, I like this tank! Have thought about pulling the spare tire well out before and making something fit there. Now the question would be how much would you need for it, if you did sell it? Need to go measure the trunk, with the strut brace, not sure if it clears the space in there.

don't need to pull out the spare tire well.  race fuel cell companies make cells designed to drop right into a spare tire well.  one example, 8 and 12 gal sizes.

http://www.ogracing.com/atl-well-cell-fuel-cell-2

does not get much easier than that.

Big HP does not mean less range necessarily.  my tweaked S14 gets 31mpg on the highway in my 02.  that makes for close to 300 miles of useable range.  WAY longer than my bladder (or hearing) will last anyway.  more fuel equals more weight equals SLOW.... ;)

2xM3

Hmm. That looks like one of my Roundel scans of Rob Mitchell's car.

Here is the first page of the article.

RobMitchellpages52and53.jpg

The 2002 turbo tank requires some "lifters" to make the trunk boards clear.

4da019db.jpg

I was planning to delete my spare tire compartment and current fuel tank next winter and run a big fuel cell. A turbo on the M20 could make it quite thirsty and I plan on going on some big road trips so its only natural. Alpina had a larger tank aswell

AlpinA+90L+Fuel+Tank+3+(2).jpg

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Jim, it is ...... and thank you very much for being the "keeper" of some of these old articles (and sharing them).  I think if you look on the Tii Registry website, Jeff Mulchahy wrote an article on the E9 tank conversion.  I want to say he got all the parts for it from Miller & Norburn back in the day.  Being the dinosaur that I am, pretty sure I have the "paper" copy somehwere of the article.

www.alpinabmw2002.com

• 3 weeks later...

Tank still sitting, looking for a new home.

I think I will post it in the classifieds. It's a

shame for it to sit around doing nothing ... 

I mean, who doesn't like a good long road trip?