• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Setting Timing With 292 Cam And 38/38 Webber

Yea sir I believe it’s 25degree advance. I lined up with the straight line notch with the 0 above it. If the cam was installed wrong is it possible to attain TDC/ compression and make my own markings on the cam?  It doesn’t look like the flywheel was messed with. Or worse case I have to take the chain off and start from the beginning? Most likely the cam wasn’t installed / timed correctly. Because it has 4 whiteout markings. Any info is appreciated. 

I’m using the flywheel markings as references since the cam sprocket has a bunch of markings on it. And the crank pulley had been replaced with a 36 toothed aftermarket set up for an EDIS4. Megajolt. Is it possible to set my my own marks using valve positioning I.e cyl# 1 open cyl#4 closed for compression. Then start from their. Or I have to disassemble the chain and all the goodies? 

The valves on #! need to be closed during the compression stroke then set the crank to tdc and then check your cam mark it should line up with the center of the spray bar.

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

Yes sir. I believe the cam sprocket was put in incorrectly. The mark is opposite of the lobes being down hence all the markings and it’s relation to the flywheel/ oil bar. Darn. I can live with that as long as I can mark the new points and find TDC I should be ok with the megajolt software. I will use the flywheel markings as reference and adjust from there I guess. I really don’t want to take this thing apart. Thanks for the help. Any other bits of knowledge is appreciated. 

You HAVE TO ESTABLISH TDC FOR THE #1 PISTON BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING ELSE!   Cam position is completely irrelevant right now.  To make sure you have TDC you should remove all of the spark plugs and find a small wooden dowel (a chop stick works great)  reach in through the #1 spark plug hole and slowly rotate the engine until you can feel the piston on the end of the dowel,  VERY CAREFULLY keep turning the engine, make sure you don't get the dowel stuck between the head and the top of the piston just keep moving it around and you will feel when the piston is at the top of the stoke.  You will find that you can move the crank back and forth a little bit and the piston won't move, you are within 5 deg of TDC  NOW GO LOOK FOR YOUR TDC MARK ON THE FLYWHEEL OR FRONT PULLEY!   If you are right at the timing mark then it is probably good.  

Now you can start looking at your camshaft to decide if it is timed properly.  On the flange that the timing gear is bolted to at the front of the cam there should be a line engraved in the flange.  That line should be EXACTLY centered under the oiling tube the runs over the top of the head.  If you don't see it turn the crankshaft 360 degrees and line up your timing mark on the crank again and look for the mark on the cam.  One of those 2 positions should have the mark on the cam at least where you can see it.  If it does not line up you need to remove the upper timing cover, remove the 4 bolts that hold the sprocket onto the cam.  Remove the plug in the lower timing cover that sticks out on the exhaust side of the motor (there is a big spring in there so be careful) this will release the chain tensioner.  Now remove the sprocket (don't worry if the chain slips off the crank pulley.  Remove the sprocket from the chain and let the chain drop (it will hang on the chain guide don't worry).  Now putting the sprocket back on the cam, notice there is a pin on the sprocket that fits in a hole between 2 of the bolt holes. Install 2 of the bolts that hold the sprocket to the cam just finger tight,  now VERY CAREFULLY TURN THE SPROCKET AND CAM UNTIL THAT LINE ON THE FLANGE LINES UP WITH THE OIL TUBE.  Remove the sprocket (don't drop anything down the front timing cover!!!)  

Now you need to reinstall the sprocket by pulling up on the cam chain, you will feel it engage the crank sprocket.  You will need to slip the cam sprocket into the chain just like it was when you took it apart and hold it up to the cam.  DOES THE LOCATING PIN ON THE SPROCKET LINE UP WITH THE HOLE IN THE CAM? If not you need to shift the sprocket one tooth at a time on the chain until it does.  Once you get the sprocket to line up with the cam you just put it all back together the way you took it apart.  

Edited by Preyupy
  • Like 3

1970 1602 (purchased 12/1974)

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC

Oh and by the way if it was off more than 1 tooth one way or the other it is quite possible you have some bent valves.   Once you get the cam timed try and start it.  If it still runs badly do a compression test. If it’s low you probably have bent valves and you need to pull the head off and get it fixed. 

Also check the valve lash, if it’s really loose there is a possibility that’s the bent valve(s) 

Edited by Preyupy
  • Thanks 1

1970 1602 (purchased 12/1974)

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC