Early 1600 Clutch

My early 68 1600 makes some crazy noises when I push the clutch in.

Sounds like its sucking air but in really jacked up kinda way. Does anyone know what clutch differences are in early BMW's ? Do they run off vacuum as well ? <-- I know this sounds really lame (vacuum part), but Im still a newb and learning as I go.

any input is always greatly appreciated.

The clutch is different from later 02s and can be mechanical or hydraulic actuated. Either way, these cars have a much different pressure plate and throwout bearing. Check the slave cylinder to see if its leaking if hydraulic ( you will have a clutch reservoir near the fuse block). They can be adjusted, mechanical or hydraulic. Could also be the clutch master cylinder.

ok, this noise makes sense now. The noise sounds like a ford powder steering unit (if you guys are familiar) or in general when the power steering is low on fluid.

it has pressure, clutch feels great, no slippage, also pedal is NOT collapsing. Maybe some fluid and adjusting ? hmm.

anyone now how to adjust ?

Im just assuming. I need to take a gander tonight when I get home. If its Hydraulic I should have the fluid reservoir on top by the fuse box right ?  

If its mechanical there should be no Hydraulic fluid reservoir right ? 

Anyway better way to tell ?

Unless your engine or flywheel have been switched from the original, your '68 1600 has a mechanically activated clutch (not hydraulic), a coil spring pressure plate (not diaphragm) and is 200mm in diameter, not 228 like the roundie 2002s (and all tii's) or 215, like squarelight 02s. 

Your clutch linkage is adjustable--the adjuster is on the pushrod that connects the pedal linkage with the throwout bearing withdrawal fork. 

A bad release bearing will make noise only when the clutch pedal is depressed.  If in fact the problem is the release bearing, the P/N is 21511204225.  If it makes noise when idling in neutral, it could be a bearing in the tranny or the pilot bearing inside the crankshaft. 

Incidentally, 2002s with the coil spring clutch (before VIN 1665200) have a hydraulic clutch linkage, but still have the adjustable pushrod, just like the 1600s.

mike

Mike,

I can almost guarantee that the T/O bearing listed, which superseded the original part, will not work. When I rebuilt my early 02 three years ago I bought that new part. Only the outer 2 or 3mm made contact with the three fingers on the early pressure plate, it looked like a recipe for disaster. The original has been NLA for years. I found one which was repacked with new grease and it worked fine. BMW doesn't always pay strict attention to the little details.

Chris