M42 Engine Swap

Hey everyone,

Im looking at doing an engine swap to a M42 engine with 5 speed transmission from a early 90s 318i.

I was wondering was if someone could link me to a post/blog where this had been done before? Ive heard that as far as conversions go its not a particularly difficult one...but who knows my sources might be unreliable.

Thanks guys.

post-45030-0-60400800-1369962916_thumb.j

Edited by Cejay_91

Hey everyone,

Im looking at doing an engine swap to a M42 engine with 5 speed transmission from a early 90s 318i.

I was wondering was if someone could link me to a post/blog where this had been done before? Ive heard that as far as conversions go its not a particularly difficult one...but who knows my sources might be unreliable.

Thanks guys.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

See mine at www.TX02.blogspot.com

Here's another FAQ-er's: http://project-schnitzer.blogspot.com/

And this one: http://www.bmw2002faq.com/topic/134016-1976-bmw-2002-m42-swap/?hl=m42+swap#entry28049

And this one: http://www.bmw2002faq.com/topic/134033-a-sorry-excuse-for-an-02-now-with-m42/?hl=m42+swap#entry925405

Suggestion- start engine shopping now.  You want a 1991 318i/is, and they're getting hard to find.

Especially the 60k miles ones that have been 'lightly rolled' so they're not worth much...

You can use the E36 M42, but that transmission doesn't fit in the 2002 tunnel.  And the intake's

gynormous... 

t

• 4 years later...

love M42 / M44 engine in an e36 but just does not make much sense in a 2002

1. not much improved HP if any over minimally modified M10

2. have to make fuel injection and computer work and maintainable in 2002... frankestein for service

3. last time I checked not easy to add performance to M42 as computer setup sort of fixed... someone probably knows more

What we find is a better, more cost effective, cooler, higher HP option is to just add performance to M10 bottom end and top end and if you want fuel injection add in a good quality supported throttle body fuel injection and injectors.   We are doing for numerous clients and about have a "kit" done for average joe to bolt on their M10.

This apporach keeps car original for collectibility but also provides way more potential for HP and performance.   We are seeing around 190 HP with modified M10 and FI... cost varies based on components

35 minutes ago, 442stang said:

2. have to make fuel injection and computer work and maintainable in 2002... frankestein for service

3. last time I checked not easy to add performance to M42 as computer setup sort of fixed... someone probably knows more

What we find is a better, more cost effective, cooler, higher HP option is to just add performance to M10 bottom end and top end and if you want fuel injection add in a good quality supported throttle body fuel injection and injectors.   We are doing for numerous clients and about have a "kit" done for average joe to bolt on their M10.

This apporach keeps car original for collectibility but also provides way more potential for HP and performance.   We are seeing around 190 HP with modified M10 and FI... cost varies based on components

That's pretty cool. Stock S14 power from an M10.

Which dyno shop are you using there, Jon?

Cheers,

1 hour ago, 442stang said:

I am interested in this kit you speak of

Unless you go forced induction. The M42 has been turbo’d a lot and seeems easier to turbo than the M10. So a turbo m42 can give you 250+ hp easily...also what’s the cost of a 190 hp M10 run??  I would bet about double what an m42 runs.  What are you doing to reliably get that hp?  I’d be very very interested in a FI system that would take my 140 hp or so carb’d M10 and add 50 hp.