Distributor Cap Help

max210

I need to replace the cap and rotor but I am having some trouble finding the correct  one.  My dizzy has this stamped on it  0231115081 JFUR 4. The dizzy has the male tab with a female recess in cap. This is in my 1972 2002 but it has a E21 head so I don't know if the distributor was swapped as well. A bosch part number or any help is appreciated.

If you have a head from an E21 320i, unless you swapped camshafts, the cam turns backwards from the one in a 2002 and of course uses a different distributor.  Could that be your problem?

If you mean an E21 cylinder head, then a Bosch interchange book should reveal the correct distributor cap for that dizzy.

mike

IIRC, the Bosch part number may be stamped on the top of the distributor cap in an embossed area near one of the plug ports. It may only be the last (3) digits - not the entire number (like "056").  This USED to be the way they came from Bosch.

Unless I'm totally wrong about this  - The full part number should be embossed on the underside of the rotor.

pics3212010013.jpg

pics3212010015.jpg

Edited by jgerock

• 4 weeks later...

max210,

You also need to replace your upper strut mounts/bearings.  The one depicted is seriously rotted. 

Agreed!

IIRC, the Bosch part number may be stamped on the top of the distributor cap in an embossed area near one of the plug ports. It may only be the last (3) digits - not the entire number (like "056").  This USED to be the way they came from Bosch.

Unless I'm totally wrong about this  - The full part number should be embossed on the underside of the rotor.

Theres nothing under the cap, I didn't check the rotor. I'll check.  The Outie (male) caps I've looked up have this half round notch in them, mine doesn't.

The half- round notch is to clear the plastic grommet for the coil wire-

it shouldn't matter to cap operation.

You probably have a VW/Volvo/Peugot/etc cap now- they are all interchangable for most applications.

As long as you get the little nipple vs. cutout notch part (which is vintage- related) right.

t