Why I Still Drive An Old Car ......

at 10:30am this morning I'm packed and loaded for a week's "vacation" to Simi Valley.  First stop:  lunch at Centro Basco in Chino.

SO, I jump in the '74tii and turn the key to "Start" ...... uh-uh-click-click-clickety-click.  Crap !!

--  I check my notes:  the battery is 4 years 3 months old ...... past expected life.

I jump on the motorcycle and 3 minutes later I'm at Pep Boys, buy a battery, and zoom back to the house.  8 minutes later the old battery is out and the new battery is in.  I wash my hands and jump in the car.

It's 11:00am, only 30 minutes later.

Turn the key ..... starts right up !!  Zoom to Chino for an awesome lunch.  Then the 60 Fwy West to the 57 North to the 210 West to the 118 West into Simi Valley.  Perfect SoCal weather, and best of all, no traffic.

And that is why I still drive an old car:  99% of the time, I can fix the problem immediately and without any headache.

Cheers,

Carl

I drove the car all over the place on Thurs-Fri-Saturday, so it was not a "sitting too long" problem.  And I get out and about at least once a week, so the charge level is maintained OK.

I'm 100% convinced the problem was definitely the 4+ year-old battery .....

Another reason why I still like the car so much:  the problem occurred at home, in the garage.  As I mentioned, I was all over the place for 3 days, the battery could have died anywhere along the way, in a variety of parking lots.  But Saturday afternoon I got that one more "start" that got me home and safely into the garage.  How can you not like a vehicle that takes such good care of you ??

Cheers,

Carl

carl when was the last time you checked the dpf filter? The egr might have gone into regen mode and caused a loss of power and spike in amperage draw.                          ;)00 ;)

I did the push-starting thing for my son when the battery in his car (5-speed) died at a family gathering. He thought I was a god. You have to grab those deifying moments when you can.

I do change batteries in daily drivers close to four years, maybe five, as I don't want to be wrong about it with my wife's car in the middle of the winter, but on mine I certainly let 'em go until they're in "not only are they really dead, they're really most sincerely dead" category.

And any car where I have to code any module to the car is not bloody likely to find a place in my driveway.

And any car where I have to code any module to the car is not bloody likely to find a place in my driveway.

After I replaced the battery in my wife's 2002 M-B sedan, the DSC warning (traction control) would not turn off.  This did not happen the first time I changed the battery 5 years ago.  I took it to the dealership and after some questions, they simply told me to turn the steering wheel lock-to-lock while the engine was running to re-set the system.  Easy fix.

Off topic >>  Noticed a Newish C-Class M-B (AMG) with this license plate this morning on the way to work  "L8R BMW". 

After I replaced the battery in my wife's 2002 M-B sedan, the DSC warning (traction control) would not turn off.  This did not happen the first time I changed the battery 5 years ago.  I took it to the dealership and after some questions, they simply told me to turn the steering wheel lock-to-lock while the engine was running to re-set the system.  Easy fix.

Off topic >>  Noticed a Newish C-Class M-B (AMG) with this license plate this morning on the way to work  "L8R BMW". 

My cousin has a 2008 c63. Runs consistent 10.90s.  His license plate is    MTHIS   lol

i guess that makes cents,I just remember going to orange county I.R.  ans terminal island tracks and Boy would I get grubby so grubby it would ruin nice interior qwik

Edited by ndog