Guibo/giubo Band And A Quick Test Drive

xferboy

Evening all,

Short version:  Would a short test drive be OK with the shipping band on the giubo?

Longer version:

I just had the center support bearing replaced and because I couldn't get the nut un-done, the center u-joint came out.  Since I was going to have to do one, do the other as well. 

The work was done by a friend, who does drive shafts for part of his job.  We replaced both u-joints and made sure the joints and the spines went back together correctly.  We put it on their balance machine, but it's designed for large trucks.  We were able to get the ends clamped (balanced nicely with out any changes), but the center support wasn't supported quite right on the machine.  It didn't move alot, so I figured I give it a try.

I put it back in the car, and on jack stands it doesn't seem to move too much.  Once other things are done on the car, I wanted to take it for a quick test drive before cutting the band on the giubo.  If it does need to go to a different place to balance I don't want to waste a giubo. I understand once the band is off, it can't be re-installed in a car.

Thoughts?  Is it bad to drive with the shipping band on for short amounts?  I probably want to run it up past 70 mph.

Thanks

Allan

You can reinstall a giubo after cutting the band off.  I used a jack to raise the bolt holes enough to line up and insert the mounting bolts.  It's a humbug, but definitely do-able; don't let anyone tell you otherwise..

I don't think I'd drive with the band on, but I can't think of a reason not to.

New guibos are ok to get back on after the band is cut, its the ones that have been on the car for a while that are a different story. If you are concerned  cut the band and if you have to remove it put a big hose clamp around it .I recently put a new one on my car ,cut the band , took the car for a drive realised my "spare" gearbox was stuffed so changed gearboxes and put the guibo back on with out a problem.

There are threads on this forum about re-installing "band-less" guibos.

The BMW dealer once left the band on after replacing the guibo on my '76 -- forgetfulness? stupidity? Anyway, unaware of their complete incompetence, I drove off. The band removed itself within 4 or 5 miles, creating much racket. I walked back, found the offending band, and suddenly had a new vision of my dealer's repair capabilities!

Steve

I'd rather not hear how you didn't make it around the block with the band on your guibo...

It's mot a problem to reinstall a guibo after the band has been removed. I've done it hundreds of times. A little large screwdriver action to pry the bolts in place with a few light taps with a hammer and viola, bolts in place.

HTH