• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rust Repair Shops/suggestions In Seattle

Hreed

Hey All, 

I am picking my 71 02' up from the Sandblasters on Tuesday. I lack the proper welding skills to repair what rust remains on the car... I have a hole in the driver side rocker panel below the side window, hole on the lower valence under where the front bumper mounts - or behind where a air dam would mount - the spare tire well is rusted of course, the front right blinker housing is rusted up, and I have misc. bad surface rust where some window seals would cover, under the bench seat support, and around the gas pedal. 

I really need to find a good, reputable shop that knows what they are doing, especially with an 02'. I know Seattle is a host of many 2002 owners, and has a strong automotive community. I'm sure there are shops out there known for this... So your suggestions are welcome! Sorry there are no pictures, the car has not been with me for 2 weeks. 

My plans are to send it off to be primed and painted after the rust is taken care of. Still need to decide the color... the original paint was Colorado. Is there something I should do to prevent surface rust from forming in the interim? 

Thanks! 

- Hunter

It's hard to find a shop that will do complete paint any more.  There's just not enough money in it in a

'we only like condos and bicycles' town.

Try Haury's on Lake City Way-

or maybe Holman's on 73rd and Roosevelt.

And if they won't do it, their recommendations

will be good.

The problem is, you see, that things like that hole in the rocker is a sure sign

that there's a lot more rust in the rocker- and that will pop back out in a few

years if not fixed properly.  But fixing it properly costs many shop hours, and that

translates into a large bill for something that's 'just a little hole'. 

But you probably knew that...

In the meantime, keep it dry and don't touch it with your hands- clean gloves only.

If you have someone who can prime it with epoxy primer, that's good-

but when in doubt, don't do anything...

hth

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

I just used Racecraft in Woodinville to do two new quarter panels, but they don't do paint.  I chose them because they have a lot of experience with 2002s and their metal guy is one of the best (talk to Terry Forland).  For rust repair it is often cheaper and better to replace panels rather than patches.  Eurotech Bodywerkes in Kirkland also has experience with 2002s (see Mark Israel).   

I think Patrick at Midnight Motorsport does it. Worth a call!

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

I think Patrick at Midnight Motorsport does it. Worth a call!

Patrick doesn't do body work. He will do the assembly once it's painted though.

Racecraft is an excellent suggestion, but get on their schedule now and drive the car as-is for the next year. It will be at least that long before they can start. Their stuff doesn't stink though.

Edited by Chamonix72

-David

1972 2002 - 2577652 Follow the fun

Patrick doesn't do body work. He will do the assembly once it's painted though.

Racecraft is an excellent suggestion, but get on their schedule now and drive the car as-is for the next year. It will be at least that long before they can start. Their stuff doesn't stink though.

Thanks for clarifying, David! I appreciate it, I wasn't sure.

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2