• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Coolant Question

rover1

could you "FAQers" give some input on what type of coolant your useing

i think my last radiator failed because of mixing coolants. i had my intake manifold off for  the interest of a vacuum leak on the intake manifold gasket. so i think i lost about half of the coolant in the system and i had no idea what coolant was in it  other then it was green coolant. so i topped it with some oem MAZDA green coolant about and about 1 month later my 02 started overheating so i checked v belt tension ok. check waterpump pully and hub bearing ok. replaced thermostate. then  R&R radiator and i noticed that the coolant pouring out of the radiator was cloudy thats when i ordered a radiator. so what coolant should i use?

I don't think mixing coolants will kill your radiator in a month...  but anyway, I use the standard green struff

(Prime, it says on the jug) from Roosevelt Auto Parts.

If you change it every couple of years, it will serve you well.

I do make an effort not to mix types more often than I have to, but that's just habit from oils and stuff...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Maybe it's overkill, but in both our '75 and '76 I use BMW Coolant (known as "Smurf-juice", because of its blue color).  It is supposedly compatable with our aluminum alloy heads, and at a cost only once every couple of years, I go with the slightly more expensive stuff. 

Been running a NOS OEM automatic tranny radiator in my car for the past 12 years with no apparent problems, and my wife's '76 has had a Curt Ingraham 3-core rad in her car since 2002, again, with no apparent problems.post-10-0-52907300-1369592806_thumb.jpg

Maybe it's overkill, but in both our '75 and '76 I use BMW Coolant (known as "Smurf-juice", because of its blue color).  It is supposedly compatable with our aluminum alloy heads, and at a cost only once every couple of years, I go with the slightly more expensive stuff. 

Been running a NOS OEM automatic tranny radiator in my car for the past 12 years with no apparent problems, and my wife's '76 has had a Curt Ingraham 3-core rad in her car since 2002, again, with no apparent problems.

Likewise. The BMW blue coolant works very well. I don't know that I'd have bought it myself, but the shop that works on my car uses it exclusively, and I've come to like it.

-David

1972 2002 - 2577652 Follow the fun

I use BMW antifreeze / coolant. It is exclusively formulated for BMW. 2141467704. From BMW dealer and is < $22.00

One gallon of antifreeze and almost 3/4 gallon of distelted water. Make sure you burp the coolant system.

Edited by Buckeye

76 2002 Sienabraun

2015 BMW F10

I've always used Prestone in the 02s and E9s, mixed with distilled water. For the newer cars I use BMW coolant, again, mixed with distilled water. I have no data to justify abiding by that dividing line. It's just what I do.

The new book The Best Of The Hack Mechanic available at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0998950742, inscribed copies of all books available at www.robsiegel.com

1972 tii (Louie), 1973 2002 (Hampton), 1975 ti tribute (Bertha), 1972 Bavaria, 1973 3.0CSi, 1979 Euro 635CSi, 1999 Z3, 1999 M Coupe, 2003 530i sport, 1974 Lotus Europa Twin Cam Special (I know, I know...)

Nothing works better for heat transfer and capacity than plain ol' water.  That's the physics, period.  But plain water will cause your water pump seal to fail sooner, so use any brand coolant intended for auto application.  Mix it with clean water (what ever that is in your neighborhood) to the ratio indicated by your climate.  That's all there really is to coolant.

Don't mix brands - there is some anecdotal evidence that some coolants react with some others.  If you change brands, thoroughly flush the system INCLUDING the heater core, with water before adding another brand.

In the 2002, I use primarily Prestone/Peak, whatever is less costly at the time, have done so since purchase.  This is for complete flush every couple of years.  In the M Roadster, I pretty much maintain the S54 as recommended by BMW, that means BMW coolant, 10w-60 TWS oil etc.

Earl

74 02Lux

02 M Roadster

72 Volvo 1800ES

Edited by Emyers

74 02Lux

15 M235i

72 Volvo 1800ES

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- George Orwell

I use the new OEM blue fluid for mine and my dads 02s.  Looks cool and I get it for free anyways.  but it won't really matter as long as its serviced when supposed to and kept close to 50-50

Beast 02- '74 2002
Beast 35- '11 135i
The Twins!!!
O=00=O