• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any Rack And Pinion Conversions?

Whizbang

I love that picture...

Any real benefits to R&P? 

I realize that is a terribly stupid question...

A better question would be... 

Is the steering box in a 2002 really that bad that it warrants doing massive subframe modifications in order to get the additional feel of an R&P?

Edited by Rocan

1974 Grey European Market BMW 2002 

1976 Yellow BMW 2002 "GOLDENROD" SOLD

1972 Yellow Austin Mini 1000

A bunch of Bikes...

The only real benefit would be to replace your tired and worn steering box that can no longer be rebuilt so far as I know. Once you've used up all of the adjustment there really isn't much you can do with it other than replace the seals and oil which, of course, does nothing for the wear of the worm and sector gears.   Having said that, there are a few FAQ members who have gone that route with mixed results.  I too am considering this possibility but will hold off until I do considerably more research.

I love that picture...

Any real benefits to R&P? 

I realize that is a terribly stupid question...

A better question would be... 

Is the steering box in a 2002 really that bad that it warrants doing massive subframe modifications in order to get the additional feel of an R&P?

its not relative to feel as much as it is the steering ratio. the exisitance of the ZF close ratio steering boxs made the car "better" at 2.9 turns lock to lock as opposed to the truck like 3.5 that comes in them. But FINDING close ratio boxs isnt easy as they are NLA.

Also, for say a rally car, or wide honking wheels, power steering.

There is no system out there I'm aware of that does not compromise something in some way; other than a close ratio steering box.  Good used normal boxes are still in relatively plentiful supply.

If someone was looking for a quicker steering but doesn't want to pony-up to do it the way BMW intended, then I'd put in a steering quickener setup (probably mounted to a cage cross bar under the dash.  Will need to use some common sense, but they're commonly used in Hot Rods to Honda's.  In my opinion it offers the least amount of compromise, the least amount of cost, and the least amount of fabwork (and therefor less potential future issues).

Edited by AceAndrew

Andrew... that is awesome... of course it would be at the cost of more steering effort, but pretty sweet none the less. Installation may be a bit annoying though since it would require cutting the steering shaft. 

1974 Grey European Market BMW 2002 

1976 Yellow BMW 2002 "GOLDENROD" SOLD

1972 Yellow Austin Mini 1000

A bunch of Bikes...

still wouldnt allow for power steering, also found be faced with the 1000 dollar asking prices for a used close ratio box. (from my observations).

i could get away without power steering i suppose with the 2.9 turns its not as narly as the 2.0 turns i have on my first gen rx7 with a second gen subframe / steering swap (which was cake).

to clarify, if the close ratio boxes were maybe like... 400, then i would be alright with it

While a steering quickener is certainly a potential solution, it comes with it's own set of installation issues.  Typically they have a splined shaft at either end that has to be in some way mated to your steering column.  As near as I can tell, this would entail cutting a section out of your existing column and somehow adapting the cut ends to the two splined shafts shafts on the quickener.  Because you obviously don't want to lose your steering while driving down the interstate at 80 MPH, you darn well better make those connections with as much structural integrity as possible.  I certainly wouldn't trust any kind of set screw or clamp arrangement as being too untrustworthy.  At the very least, I would imagine a proper installation is going to involve some machining and/or welding skills. Additionally a bracket to hold the quickener would need to be securely mounted, most likely, somewhere under the dash.  Even with the quickener installed, it isn't going to remove any excessive play from your existing steering box which I kind of thought was the point for going to rack and pinion in the first place.  If there are good used steering boxes still to be had, I'd definitely buy one from a reputable source like Ireland who has likely examined the internals for excessive wear rather than from some guy selling one on Ebay.   

While a steering quickener is certainly a potential solution, it comes with it's own set of installation issues.

If there are good used steering boxes still to be had, I'd definitely buy one from a reputable source like Ireland who has likely examined the internals for excessive wear rather than from some guy selling one on Ebay.   

Yep

This is why I said that there is no system out there I'm aware of that does not compromise something in some way.  I feel the quickener would be less work overall and a lessen the chance of functional issues, when compared to a rack.  As you pointed it, it would still take quite a bit of common sense, not to mention everyone's reasons for the change would vary (and now you can see why there isn't a cookie cutter kit offered).

Will poke around for a steering box in good shape and pm.

Edited by AceAndrew

The 2002 front geometry is designed around the track rod and the way that it moves.

If you change to raquk, you have to adapt the rest of the steering to move like a rack does.

Nick Vyse used an E21 rack.

I raced the stock box for 8 years- it was never a limitation.  The rack and pinion on an E30 IS a limitation.

fwiw

t

Edited by TobyB

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL